Experience Days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sunshine 11

Experience Days

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Lots of schools are doing experience days for Y5s. I think this is brilliant, irrespective of what school it is, as it will give them an insight into what secondary school is like and take away some of the stress and worry, I wish more of the schools did this, but I appreciate it is an awful lot of work for the schools to do. What are your thoughts ?
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Stressed?Moi?

Re: Experience Days

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Wow, I haven't heard of this in state schools - I think it's a great idea. Are any of the Gloucestershire grammars doing it by any chance? If so, I assume it would only be once results are known?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

When my girls were in primary schools, both of the comps local to that school ran a few activities for Y5 children - drama, music or sports based days. They were popular with the children and they got to see the inside of secondary schools during a normal school day.

Being cynical, I saw the activity days purely as a marketing ploy, especially as one school had a tendancy to be undersubscribed. Some of the grammars do invite a few Y4 & Y5's from local primaries in for the day, again for a focused activity rather than just wandering around the school. However, as the grammars tend towards oversubscription, there's probably less need for the hard sell.
Capers
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Just over the border into Warwickshire,KES in Stratford-upon-Avon had a 'taster day' last Saturday, 7 June. I think it was aimed at Year 5 boys in local schools, though I'm not sure.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Warks mum wrote:Just over the border into Warwickshire,KES in Stratford-upon-Avon had a 'taster day' last Saturday, 7 June. I think it was aimed at Year 5 boys in local schools, though I'm not sure.
Yes, it was SGSG too - aimed at the Stratford primary cluster. Local schools for local children ... ??

JD
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hmm. As a recently 'retired' teacher in a secondary school, but initially a primary one, I think this looks like a bit of a nightmare for staff with very limited benefits for the majority of children (age 9?). At one secondary school I taught in in the area we brought in a huge bunch of Year 6s for some sort of international cooking experience and by the end of the day everyone (staff and 6th form helpers) was totally jiggered. Not sure what the children got out of it - most looked rather bemused if not overwhelmed and probably got the impression that secondary school was all about free pizza, daft hats and 13 year olds making out in the corridors.

Do year 5 children really get stressed and worried about moving schools? Or is it their parents? Maybe they should go in for a day making pizzas and badges and getting lost finding the loos.

I think most children have been to a secondary school at least once by the time they go there. More than I had done - never seen the place till the bus dropped me off on the first day. :?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

This time last year, DS visited all our local secondary schools (both comps and private) with his class. Absolutely, this was an advertising campaign. What did the 9/10 year olds judge the schools on? The quality of the refreshments provided of course! The one with the choice of biscuits came top; the private girls school with the sugar (and taste) -free lolly came last :lol:

JD
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Wow, I haven't heard of this in state schools - I think it's a great idea. Are any of the Gloucestershire grammars doing it by any chance? If so, I assume it would only be once results are known?
No not grammar I'm afraid, they would be in-undated, it's SWR and it is a full day 9.15 - 2.00 including maths, science, drama etc. A marketing ploy, yes I'm sure, I quite like the idea of "try before you buy". They are all very excited and my DD has a Little Mix concert at Westonbirt in the evening so is looking to be quite a nice day. I will let you know how they get on and if I recommend it for next Y5s :)
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Well my DD got invited along for an afternoon of activities at Pates at the beginning of this term. There was only 4 schools involved and only Y5 children. They did a half day of activities, toured the school, did some activities in prep for the exam, got a drink and biscuits (most memorable part). It really sold the school to her and has given her extra determination to pass.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

was the whole of your DD's class invited or just G+T ones? My DD has been to specalist days at schools for the subjects her school thinks she is "g&t" (whatever that means!!) As you say medieval babe, it is a great opportunity and she has gained a good knowledge of the school, particularly enjoying the food! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now