Maths KS2 - Excellent

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
caring star

Maths KS2 - Excellent

Post by caring star »

Hi
Just want to know whether there us any Talented test for children( Age 8-11) in Maths who are above their targeted level like the maths olympiad for older children- Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Maths KS2 - Excellent

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Most Primary Schools take part in the Primary Schools Maths Challenge each year, where the top performers get given bronze, silver or gold. In each school the gold awards then go forward to be tested against other schools nationally. Your maths co-ordinator should have details.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In Herts we also have the County Maths Challenge which consists of teams of four from Y5 in each school. There is a first round from which the winner and the highest ranking losers from the rounds go through to the final. We also had a number of Maths workshops held in various schools around the county. DG
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Our primary school enter some of the Year 6 ( and occasionally year 5) children in the Junior Maths Challenge which is targeted I believe at children in year 7 and 8. Interestingly they don't do the Primary Maths Challenge.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoroughly recommend the Primary maths challenge - there are past papers to download here.

All the children sit the paper in November and top scorers sit the follow-on round in February.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

My two really enjoyed doing the Primary maths challenge, and my son's been involved in the Junior one too. The junior one (which they take in secondary school) in particular is great as it really tests their lateral thinking and problem solving skills. It also features negative marking - with the later questions if you attempt the next one and get it wrong you get minus points!

In our area they also put the top three maths ability children from each primary school through to an after-school accelerated maths course at a local secondary school. I don't know if this happens in other areas, but my daughter did this last year and found it very interesting.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Most Primary Schools take part in the Primary Schools Maths Challenge each year, where the top performers get given bronze, silver or gold. In each school the gold awards then go forward to be tested against other schools nationally. Your maths co-ordinator should have details.
The primary maths challenge is excellent, but just to clarify: the school decides who gets the bronze, silver and gold awards, there is no national standard. I used to give the top 2 scores gold. Some years that may have been a high enough score to get to the final, but other years it would be no where near.

Our county also has a primary maths quiz, with preliminary rounds with the winners of each heat going to a county final. In our county the challenge, which is excellent, stresses problem solving, mental arithmetic and relies on excellent group work.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The follow-on round in February gives out medals which, as said above, should NOT be compared to the school given medals which can be purchased.

The national medals and a list of those awarded them is on the above website link I posted.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:The follow-on round in February gives out medals which, as said above, should NOT be compared to the school given medals which can be purchased.

The national medals and a list of those awarded them is on the above website link I posted.
Silly question, but is the Primary Maths Challenge just for primary-school children? One of the medallists from the 2013 bonus round is listed as being at a State GS.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Could be an underage Year 7?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now