What do you think this means in the new Kent test descriptio

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

What do you think this means in the new Kent test descriptio

Post by mystery »

The stuff about the Kent test on the KCC website talks about 5 minutes of examples at the start of each test. I am trying to think how this would work. In the GL familiarisation papers (and in the old tests so far as we know) there was an example at the start of each section. If these question types were completely new to the child this would have been hard enough I think, but if they were all lumped together at the beginning in one big set of examples it would be a very hard way to start the test.

What do you think it means? And do you think it means that it is more or less likely that the question types will be ones GL have never put in Kent 11plus test before or not?
fatbananas

Re: What do you think this means in the new Kent test descri

Post by fatbananas »

My guesswork: there will be 3-5 questions at the beginning of each section to give DC an idea about what is coming up. Not really sure how this would work for English or Maths, because there is so much more variety.

I've no idea about whether this means new content in, say, VR/NVR. I think it would be really rubbish for GL to introduce something new now when they have How-to guides which state that these guides take you through all the types that GL use. But who knows :?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If it is anything like the CEM examples, it may be more about how to fill in the answer box correctly and how to change your answer if you change your mind, rather than examples of the types of question that are about to come up - as you say fb, there is so much variation in the types of questions, the examples can't cover all of them, which is why it may be more about the practical technique needed to complete the sheet properly.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes that makes sense particularly as there is no practice test in kent any longer nor a familiarisation paper as such.

I have just read the blurb on the kcc website more carefully and this business of 5 mins of practice followed by 25 mins of the real thing only applies to the maths and English sections, not to the VR and NVR.

So that makes kcg's suggestion fit the bill even better.

It's going to be a long morning for them. But I suppose not as long as the occ candidates used to put up with.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

A parent with 3 kids who've all passed the KT, told me this morning that there were always practice questions for the NVR (don't know about VR) before each section, so that might stay the same.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, I'm pretty sure that will stay the same - an example at the start of each new question type just like in the GL familiarisation papers. And therefore maybe the same for VR? I just can't see how it would work otherwise - whether or not the question types have changed.

Shall we run a book on whether the question types will have changed or not in the VR and NVR?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

mystery wrote:Yes, I'm pretty sure that will stay the same - an example at the start of each new question type just like in the GL familiarisation papers. And therefore maybe the same for VR? I just can't see how it would work otherwise - whether or not the question types have changed.

Shall we run a book on whether the question types will have changed or not in the VR and NVR?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

mystery wrote:Yes, I'm pretty sure that will stay the same - an example at the start of each new question type just like in the GL familiarisation papers. And therefore maybe the same for VR? I just can't see how it would work otherwise - whether or not the question types have changed.

:lol:

Do you think KCC intended there to be more tutoring, potentially more private school DC going to GS, and gambling, as a result of their new test?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

fatbananas wrote:

:lol:

Do you think KCC intended there to be more tutoring, potentially more private school DC going to GS, and ********, as a result of their new test?
gosh! Even the word associated with 'running a book' and beginning with 'g' is automatically blocked :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now