Kendrick Induction Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11+11+

Kendrick Induction Day

Post by 11+11+ »

DD really enjoyed her session at Kendrick today and is looking forward to going back on Wednesday! Felt that the atmosphere was very welcoming.
tbaby21

Re: Kendrick Induction Day

Post by tbaby21 »

We felt the same. DD came out smiling and feeling excited.
11+11+

Post by 11+11+ »

Good stuff, We certainly felt it was well organised. Filled in the paperwork??

Are most parents hoping to buy complete uniform tomorrow? other than the logo'd kit, is M&S, JL good enough?
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

Yes, a good time was had by all. It actually feels real now, after all these months (years!).

Forms forms forms. I'm more shocked by the pta membership fee than by the voluntary contribution request :?

We'll take a look at the PE kit on Wednesday and see... I guess the main thing is that they won't want to be different and stand out! If they don't have the regulation kit.

See you on Wednesday.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My experience last year was that they did not have enough stock in enough sizes for everyone to be able to buy the complete set. They divide you into 3 groups for the evening so if you are not in the group that does uniform first then there may be gaps in the size availability by the time you get there. Plus there is nowhere to try anything on - we ended up with a swimsuit 2 sizes too small based on their recommendation.
I would expect you will need a trip to Hawkinsport at some point over the holiday.
Shirts/skirts/trousers are all fine from JL, M&S, Next etc so focus on the sports kit/science overall would be my recommendation.
And definitely give your name in to the parents society as they compile class lists of contact details so you can do meets before the start of term.
11+11+

Post by 11+11+ »

Thanks, it this a school shop? are the open during the school day? Our DD will defo need to try the clothing on to make sure it fits properly .

With the school fund and PTA membership fee, gosh a bit of a shocker! £250 (Wow). I suppose all parents do pay it, however reluctantly!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have never heard of a school charging a PTA membership fee before ...

They cannot insist on contributions for school fund - you already contribute through tax!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I paid membership of my DD's previous parents assoc so I wasn't surprised by that. There is a certain minimum amount of income needed just to operate such an organisation and everything they make gets spent on the girls.

Hawkinsport is the school supplier - located in Bourne End and open Mon to Sat but not Sunday. They have online ordering too but that is no good if you need to try things on.
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

Guest55 wrote:I have never heard of a school charging a PTA membership fee before ...

They cannot insist on contributions for school fund - you already contribute through tax!
No, I'd not heard of a membership fee for a PTA before either. And yes, the voluntary donation is voluntary, but we all know how stretched state schools are and if it's affordable for the family, then why not support the school?

I don't think it's wrong of the school to ask, but it would be wrong if they expected every family to give it.
Reading Mum wrote:I paid membership of my DD's previous parents assoc so I wasn't surprised by that. There is a certain minimum amount of income needed just to operate such an organisation and everything they make gets spent on the girls.
Reading Mum do you think their membership is per child too? :wink: I shall have to ask on Wednesday. And has the KPS done much for your year group? Class? I was just wondering about the "getting to know each other" type of things they might do, and also the role of class rep - what do you think?
11+11+

Post by 11+11+ »

We are really up for the sharing of info so we can get to know local families and our DD can start interacting with others. However this can only work if many do it, also I fear more will sign up for it, who possibly live outside of Reading, rather than those who do reside in Reading. Just a theory!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now