Query about Chislehurst

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

VanillaLatte

Query about Chislehurst

Post by VanillaLatte »

Apoligies in advance for the laim question.
Chislehurst is in Kent, but Borough of Bromley. Is it good to be in that area if you are planning to apply for DG, Bexley Grammar and Kent exam.
Thank you.
Fingerscrossedmum

Re: Query about Chislehurst

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Chislehurst gives easy, one bus access to Chis and Sid, Beths and Townley (via the 269 bus) - not sure about the other Bexley grammars. The School bus for Wilmington also stops by Chislehurst station.

Don't think it's possible to do an easy journey by train, so you'll need to check the other bus routes.

Another problem with the area is that the only non-Grammars are Coopers and Beaverwood, neither of which are that highly rated.
Filitosa96

Post by Filitosa96 »

Fingerscrossedmum wrote:Chislehurst gives easy, one bus access to Chis and Sid, Beths and Townley (via the 269 bus) - not sure about the other Bexley grammars. The School bus for Wilmington also stops by Chislehurst station.

Don't think it's possible to do an easy journey by train, so you'll need to check the other bus routes.

Another problem with the area is that the only non-Grammars are Coopers and Beaverwood, neither of which are that highly rated.
Don't forget Bullers Wood, which is OFSTED Outstanding
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

Thank you both for responding.

I like Chislehurst, but prefer DGSC as there is girls and boys. Also Kent has more grammars. Bexley seems not that great according to the league tables.

Such a shame!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi

By DGSC do you mean Dartford Grammar School? If so, then the boys and girls schools are totally separate (albeit across the road from each other). The school coach picks up in Chislehurst. DS gets the coach there from Bromley but has started getting the bus and train some days as it's a lot quicker.

I have a daughter at Bullers Wood in Chislehurst. We chose it above the Bexley Grammars. She's doing very well there and I would happily recommend it :D
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

bondgirl wrote:Hi

By DGSC do you mean Dartford Grammar School? If so, then the boys and girls schools are totally separate (albeit across the road from each other). The school coach picks up in Chislehurst. DS gets the coach there from Bromley but has started getting the bus and train some days as it's a lot quicker.

I have a daughter at Bullers Wood in Chislehurst. We chose it above the Bexley Grammars. She's doing very well there and I would happily recommend it :D
Bondgirl, very encouraging, thank you. Yes, Dartford Grammar Boys. I thought that you only need to live in Kent Council to be considered for it. Do you have a clue if living in Chislehurst gives you an option to sit Bexley's 11+ as well please?

How long does it take from Chislehurst to DGSC please? Much appreciated.

Every comment is helpful as we were looking at variety of grammar schools in Bexley/Kent Councils and are confused whether catchment applies in addition to the 11+ result. I think they still consider living distance and give priority to the residents in the local authority.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Hi,

I only know about the 4 Bexley Grammar schools but you can sit the Bexley 11plus no matter where you live. If your child has one of the top 180 scores of the children that passed the exam, you are guaranteed a place at the grammar school of your choice no matter where you live. If your child passes outside of the top 180 scores, then you need to look at the website of the school for their admission criteria but they all include distance from the school. These distances vary year on year and school by school but if I remember correctly they are detailed in the school admissions booklet which are given out to the children in Bexley by their primary schools. Registration for the Bexley 11plus is now open and closes next month. All the details are on the Bexley Council website.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

You can sit Bexley and Kent tests without living in either borough. DGS takes a number of local boys who pass the Kent test, then offer based on score, regardless of where you live. The coach picks up in Chislehurst at about 7.45 in the morning and arrives at school just on time (8.40 am). There are other options using public transport, depending on whereabouts in Chislehurst you are.
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

Thank you, this is fantastic.
DS is currently being tutored and I heavily rely on the test results as it is quite tricky with the catchments and you never know how they will perform on the day. We would like to locate in Chilsehurst and from all places we have seen we like it best.

Thank you again, you have been really helpful.
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Which league tables are you looking at VanillaLatte? I thought Chis and Sid and Townley did pretty well last year.

I don't know what year your ds is in, but I've heard recent news that Bullers Wood School for Girls is applying to set up a free school, Bullers Wood School for Boys (four form entry). They are hoping to open in September 2016, meaning boys in Year 4 during the academic year 2013/14 will be eligible. Obviously, this is early days but good for the Borough of Bromley, as in the coming years they will see student numbers which are increasing in primary schools, filter through to secondary level.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now