OOC school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tco

OOC school

Post by tco »

Dear all,

If your child is at an 'out of county' school:

1. Does the school need to give permission for your child to take the 11+?

2. Where would your child take the 11+?

3. Can the 11+ be taken without the knowledge of the school?

TIA for any answers
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi tco

The school does not need to give permission for the child to take the Bucks 11+.

If the school is a "Bucks Partner School" then the school would administer the 11+ automatically. If it is not a Partner School but is willing to adminster the test for the child it can do so anyway.

If none of those apply then the test would be administered at a central testing centre (often during October half-term, so don't book a holiday!) The centre could be a Bucks primary school or senior school, or County Hall at Aylesbury.

It's an interesting question as to whether you have to tell the school that the child is taking the test. I think not, unless the school receives a copy of the CAF form.

Does anyone from out-of-county have a definitive answer?

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Sally-Anne, many thanks for your reply.

I agree it will be interesting to know whether you are obliged to tell the school and indeed whether the school would receive the CAF form.

From your reply:

4. How can I find out which schools are Bucks Partner schools?

Thank you
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Partner Schools...

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum ... r_2008.pdf

Appendix 9 [ at the end of the document P.60]

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Patricia

Thank you very much.

I'll speak with Bucks County to clarify what information the school will receive through them.

Post by Guest »

Hi tco

I too am interested in the answer to your question! At our local primary which is only just OOC it seems very "against the grain" to try for the nearest grammar school, but fortunately the school is willing to administer the test if parents request it. As a result the numbers attempting are increasing year on year - there are usually one or two, but I think the number was up to four this year.

Best of luck!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi All

Thanks for posting that link on Partner Schools Patricia - I knew it was out there somewhere, but couldn't remember exactly where.

I have thought long and hard about your post tco and I cannot think of any way that the present school will know which schools you have put on the CAF. It is your choice and of no concern to the present school unless you choose to discuss it with them or disclose the information.

The only time the issue would arise is if your child narrowly missed the pass mark and you needed a Head Teacher's statement to support an appeal.

If your child's current school does not support the 11+ (and there are Bucks primaries that do not), ignore them. If you believe it is worth a go, just do it.

Sally-Anne
tco

Post by tco »

Dear all,

I checked with BCC today and they confirmed that on application it is possible to request that the school is not informed and they will respect this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now