Parents allowed at prizegiving / leavers' evening?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kit

Parents allowed at prizegiving / leavers' evening?

Post by Kit »

Last edited by Kit on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Re: Parents allowed at prizegiving / leavers' evening?

Post by Guest55 »

We certainly went and it was a lovely evening - state GS.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think DS's event was students only, most had been at university for a term and enjoyed meeting up with all their old classmates again (without parents in the way :wink: )
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am not aware of any such event at DD's (now former!) state grammar school; but if there were I am pretty sure she would not want us there. Which would suit me fine personally as I find such things cringe-making and uncomfortable. I would only go if she specifically asked me, which I consider unlikely :wink:.

We do have a kind of family joke though about making spontaneous speeches at these events ('I always knew my son was special, from the moment he was born, and this marvellous school has helped him to become the wonderful young man we all know he is today'), as once I was at an infants' class assembly when a mother got up and made a lengthy, tearful speech about what a fabulous time her very talented daughter had had in year 2. It was one of the most embarrassing things I have ever witnessed.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Last edited by Kit on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Parents are invited at my DCs' school. At the GCSE one parents are only invited if their child has won a prize (perhaps an opportunity to make the speech suggested by Amber). I wasn't invited :D
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

Kit wrote:When you put it like that I feel bad about wanting to go!
I'm sorry that wasn't my intention. I know I'm unusual if not decidedly odd and most parents enjoy public celebrations of their children's achievements. That I happen to dislike such things is my problem not yours. Sorry again.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In a related but separate thing, my son is at a county school athletics comp today, which is held at a club that shares facilities with a local high school. The SLT of the high school announced the other day that due to their safeguarding policy, no spectators were allowed on site. So nobody is there all day to cheer the kids on, congratulate them when they do well, commiserate if it doesn't go so well. Hidden sports...and yet we also have an obesity problem! The world has gone mad!!
catmum

Post by catmum »

My DDs school ( state grammar) have a speech night/awards evening every year at the Bridgewater concert hall in Manchester( most local schools do theirs there also so i guess there must be an arrangement for schools to use it as I can't imagine what it would cost to hire!) to which all pupils have to go without exception,and parents are pretty much expected to go too!
In year 7 it seemed very exiting and the school do put an enormous amount of effort into the music in the first half, which is fantastic, but the speeches and awards are mind numbingly dull as they go on for up to 2 hours!! Dh has managed to be 'working away' every time the date comes up!
I have to say I'm relieved this will be the last one for her :roll:

DS at state high school goes to the same venue but school is much larger so pupils/parents only invited if they are getting an award, 1st time we've been invited now he's in year 9, what the 'award ' is is kept secret...the excitement! Had a separate sports one this year too, he seems to finally be pulling his socks up and being noticed for the right reasons :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

There's your answer, catmum! The award for the best pulled up socks in the school!! :lol: :lol: