Excited children!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Excited children!

Post by Yamin151 »

Just wanted to say its so nice seeing all the lovely messages about excited and happy children doing their move up and induction days at their new schools, all across the country. Such an exciting time for them. Sure they will be nervous and the move to secondary will be quite a hike for them too, but with such enthusiasm behind them I have high hopes they will all flourish, and it's lovely to see them all so chirpy.

Not so chirpy are all the "cost of uniform", "cost of suggested contributions", "cost of PTA membership", "cost of the bus" discussions! It's all a bit of a shock for the first timers (like me, and two at once here) isn't it?

I hope for well supplied second hand uniform sales and the assertiveness to say, politely of course, no thanks, and to resist what we can. And I'm consoled by the thought that with one in indie on scholarship, and one in grammar, and lots of friends with children in other state schools, both selective and not, that ALL secondary education has become expensive and ALL institutions will try for whatever money they can. I guess we can't blame them for that, but it's not just because we chose selective.

Here's to a a happy September I hope, good luck all :D :D
MedievalBabe

Re: Excited children!

Post by MedievalBabe »

I found the cost quite a surprise last year, but I was pleased DS had got into a local GS as it turned out cheaper than the local comp for uniform. The GS offered a secondhand uniform shop, the only part of the uniform which had to be from them was the blazer, tie and rugby shirt, all the rest from the high street. His PE shorts were the ones he had at primary school as they still fitted.

Friends whose DC were going to the comp had to have full logo PE kit, shorts, tops, tracksuits etc, the rest of the uniform was also logo loaded, they were spending 3 times the amount I was.

Then of course there is all of the extra costs. We have just been thanked for our monthly contribution, but would we like to increase it to help the schools vision for the future.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Fair points. But, honestly, instead of a blanket "resist politely", it's important that those who benefit and CAN contribute should pay a fair amount.

We're still at (state) primary, but, for example, plenty of affluent parents who get the front row at every class assembly and play are NEVER seen at the fund raising events. I'm not short of demands on my time and money, but I support every school event. We have never missed a fair and we all buy our lunch there that day, etc.

If the secondary school demands are excessive, resist the unreasonable / unaffordable stuff. But please don't "resist" everything. Schools are strapped for cash.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Schools are strapped for cash
It depends how well the school is run! Schools are better funded than they were in the past.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Guest55 wrote:
It depends how well the school is run! Schools are better funded than they were in the past.
This is absolutely true - much, much better funding than when I started teaching. It used to be that the PA funds bought things like carpets for classrooms and text books - not any more they are buying things like wooden adventure playgrounds.

No excuse for uniforms being expensive, our GS and Sec Mod are all available at various high street shops and another where friends go give the first set of uniform free to all.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Sorry, didn't intend this thread to be a moan about costs, really I didn't, I am truly most concerned with expressing pleasure at allt he lovely excited children.

Can we concentrate on that? Sorry I misled you all! This discussion has happened elsewhere
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Hey Yamin,

I am also loving seeing all of the children buzzing about their move into new school - so much better than seeing them frightened to death at the prospect of such a big step! :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Trouble is, the next 3 or 4 weeks at primary is going to be a real struggle for these ready to move on big, littlies!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Yes absolutely! Ours are in with year 5s too, so they have to continue with curriculum work, but otherwise it's a bit of a cruise to the end. It's a good job theya re so keen to leave as otherwise I don't think I could take the poignancy and sentiment!
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Guest55 wrote:

Good to hear. We're not at that point yet. My impression is based on comments made by teachers who were showing us around state secondary schools.

"The corridors get very busy at break time. That's because the school was built for 500 children and now accommodates 1,000."

"They use individual (physical) white boards to hold up their answers in language class, but by this time of year the markers have all run out."

"We'd like to have a bigger library, but we don't have the funds."

Etc.

I must have extrapolated too far. :-)

You're 12 months ahead of me, so perhaps I hear the wish-we-hads more acutely!
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.