Scores....does it matter after offer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Oshosh

Scores....does it matter after offer

Post by Oshosh »

Hi,

My DS, as some of you who had been following my thread would know, would be going AGSB, as ooc. My son score is reasonable and a good margin over the ic cut off and ooc last score of the last boy offered. Yesterday i went for the open evening, and it wad all very exciting. Spoke to a few older boys, and was very much impressed with atmosphere and all. There were alot of parents of boys who would be sitting the exam this year, but there were a few like us as well. Spoke to 3 families, whose boys who would be starting in sept-all ooc. I was quite suprised to hear their scores.....410 and etc. my DS scored 380plus....and i was made up. I am worried now that my DS might struggle in school with brilliant boys. My Ds is hardworking and grasps knowledge quickly. But he is not a genius.

:( I am worried that DS will not be able to cope with pressure and competitive environment that AGSB offer. Maybe our modern secondary nearby would have done the job for DS. :?:

Guys....especially whose DS is already there, pls respond. I could do with some reassurance.

Thanks
Vicster

Re: Scores....does it matter after offer

Post by Vicster »

The majority of the boys do come from IC and it is therefore possible and likely that many will have scores lower than you sons. Those from OOC will have disproportionately higher scores because sensible parents from OOC will not apply unless they think their sons have a reasonable chance of getting 350+.
In any case 380 is so fabulous score and I can't imagine any boy who achieves that will struggle.
Let's also remember that many boys have had a huge amount of intensive tutoring to achieve their scores of 410 etc.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Oshosh, in all honesty, I would be feeling a bit sorry for the boys of those parents who feel the need to "big up" themselves about how high their sons scores were at the first time of meeting someone! In our experience (different area) people never discuss scores - once you are in, all the kids are treated the same and it is up to them to do the work - some score very highly in end of term exams - some score less well - some do well in one exam but not another, regardless of where they were in initial score/ranking.

You will inevitably get alpha parents who feel the competitive urge all the time - just smile sweetly and know that it is irrelevant!
Homebird

Post by Homebird »

I asked this question at UGS and was told that once offered a place, the exam scores make no difference to setting etc in the school. They do take note of the reports they get from the children's primary schools, however.
I personally know someone who, a few years ago, missed an offer for one of the Trafford Grammar schools by a few points, got in on appeal and then went on to get 4 A*s at A Level and go to Medical school - proof that a low score at 11 plus does not mean you'll go on to struggle.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Stop flapping!!! :lol: :lol:

I can't believe that parents would actually impart this information- its actually a bit sad. Yes be proud, but don't use it to 'big' yourself and your kids up. No one is interested, honestly. :? :?

Your son will be absolutely fine. There will be boys at the top and bottom ability range in different subjects. My son is good at some things, ok at other and struggles with a couple of subjects. The school are fine with that! They will help and encourage where required, and offer support if need be.

Here , I'll share a low score (361)- there you go.

You might have seen my son last night as he was helping out. His teachers were raving about what a great kid he is. I saw how natural he was the the little ones. He may not be top of the pile at AGSB, but my heart was bursting with pride last night :wink: .

Has that made you feel any better?
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

My son (now yr 11) scored around 350 and has been in the top maths set and about 1/3rd of the way down the year throughout. His score did include an abysmal mark on NVR though.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks for your reply everyone. I was just worried if my DS would fit in a above average cohort. But if the school is made up children with all abilities, it would be a better projection of the society.

I overheard the mums telling their DS score to sixth former helper.....they didnt tell me...but i was near enough to hear :oops: . I dont know wheather they were asked.....or...

And

TM - i should really stop FLAPPING :lol: .......you know what i must have spoken to your DS, because the young man sounded jus like you- sensible.

Homebird- thanks for sharing you experience, i dont judge any children by their scores....but didnt want DS to suffer socially when i thought he may not fit in with the cohort

KCG- the score discussion goes on where i live and will go on until the exam is abolished. When someone ask for my DS score , i answer with all the pride in the world, but do not ask for their DS score- as it is not important to compare. But what annoys me most is when people allocate percentages to the scores....eg 380/423 would literally mean 90%....but it is not literal...scores undergo standardization and are age weighted. So % cannot be allocated. I keep this opinion to myself these days, as it is a waste of time explaining to some ppl. :x

vicster- thanks for your reply. My son is timid until he knows the place and ppl, and once he does he is complete chatterbox- non stop. He was talking to alot of school boys who are helpers yesterday and he has got some current y7 boys phone numbers to contact reagrding music / helping out in the library. So i guess boys settle- left up to them.My DS is not a genius but certainly knows what he wants and what to work hard for. Realistically ooc have to score higher to have a chance at the school- so i guess i was worried for nothing.

Thanks once again for all replies. But i would still like to hear about the help given to children who need more help than other kids- what provisions do Alty have in place...and etc.
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

Oshosh - Your boy may not be "Cleaverst", but he is surely one of the luckiest to get a mom like you who worries about every possible thing in his life :) and tries to find answers to all his past,present and future problems :lol:

His score is absolutely fine and you should just not worry about Mr and Mrs 410 !!

My DS is in year 5, so I can't reply directly to your question, but a serious analogy comes to my mind. When we pass driving test, a 14 minor error maker also get a pass like zero error person. In the long run, is there any guarantee that Mr Zero error will be a better driver than Mr 14? :lol:
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

rimi01 wrote:Oshosh - Your boy may not be "Cleaverst", but he is surely one of the luckiest to get a mom like you who worries about every possible thing in his life :) and tries to find answers to all his past,present and future problems :lol:

His score is absolutely fine and you should just not worry about Mr and Mrs 410 !!

My DS is in year 5, so I can't reply directly to your question, but a serious analogy comes to my mind. When we pass driving test, a 14 minor error maker also get a pass like zero error person. In the long run, is there any guarantee that Mr Zero error will be a better driver than Mr 14? :lol:
:wink: tell me about it.......i am a worry freak, aren't I.