Should we do medway and kent test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Last1973

Should we do medway and kent test

Post by Last1973 »

We live in medway and just started thinking about tests for 2015.
Should we do both tests and what's the difference.
The medway forum doesn't have much activity on there

Thanks
Kentishmaid

Re: Should we do medway and kent test

Post by Kentishmaid »

Nothing lost by giving it a go!
TeamD

Post by TeamD »

We live in Medway and DD1 sat both Medway and Kent 11+. She missed the Medway pass mark by 5 marks and is now in Year 9 of a Kent Grammar School, which we are very happy with. DD2 will be sitting both tests this September. She'll have no problem passing the medway test, but will be sitting the Kent test in case she decides to attend the same school as DD2.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

The Medway test favours a child with better English skills as the English written exercise is not age-standardised and accounts for 40% of the marks (no surprise that there is a whole extra grammar school for girls in Medway!).

If you are close enough for it to be an option, I would say take both. We are in Medway and my DS took both as he is stronger in maths, and got a better result in his Kent. If he had failed the Medway I would have sent him to Maidstone by bus. My DD only took Medway as she was weaker in maths but good at English and she did well in the Medway.

Worth also checking out the current position with Chatham boys and girls grammar as they were accepting Kent passes and probably still are.