St Michael's High Wycombe

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sunshineonarainyday

St Michael's High Wycombe

Post by sunshineonarainyday »

Does anyone have any feedback on St Michael's pls?
My child is considered borderline passing, more no then yes.
I am looking at Sec schools in South Bucks and wondered what St Michael's would be like for a child who's current school have said would be top academically of a Sec school.
Guest55

Re: St Michael's High Wycombe

Post by Guest55 »

I have only ever heard good things about this school from teacher colleagues.

It had a recent good Ofsted; why not visit it and ask questions about how they stretch the more able?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's a Catholic school. Is that ok with you? I think it's quite new in its current form so people may not have much experience.
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Until recently it was called st bernards, with the primary named st Augustine's, now both called st Michaels.

You do have to either be in close proximity or Catholic.

I have parents of four children in attendance in my sons rugby club social circle, they are all happy, two younger boys with older sisters there and two year 9 boys. All but two did transfer from the primary to the upper though.
The school has a very friendly ethos by all accounts and a good mix of children.
Two of the girls that are there are leaving to go to wycombe high sixth form this year.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I thought St Michaels was a completely new name and the primary was St. Augustine's?

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-rep ... ELS/110516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-rep ... ELS/110474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sunshineonarainyday

Post by sunshineonarainyday »

Thank you for the reply's we are Catholic so that side of things is not a problem.
I am just worried that my child is more than able but just very lazy at times, so their current school don't think they would cope with the work load in a Grammar.
If they are not given the work and push in a Sec school they will sink.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

You are right...Sorry, it was when ds1 Sat 11+ that the changes all occurred and for some reason st bernards kept its former handle longer amongst parents chatting, than st Augustine's, so I got mixed up.
Sorry, I will change my post. :oops:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

sunshineonarainyday wrote:Thank you for the reply's we are Catholic so that side of things is not a problem.
I am just worried that my child is more than able but just very lazy at times, so their current school don't think they would cope with the work load in a Grammar.
If they are not given the work and push in a Sec school they will sink.

We recently discovered the uppers seem to give more teacher directed work, work sheets and individual performance targets than the grammar we know well.
The grammars expect a level of self motivation and ours punishes if the child does not do homework, get good test results etc. Not nastily, but by detentions, re-tests, lunchtime forfeits etc. They are expected to perform to the school performance standard, not their own set of targets.

Only you and your son's teachers know which method will work best with him.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now