CEM

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nimbus

CEM

Post by Nimbus »

Is anyone else preparing for the SGS CEM test? I'm absolutely lost with it and really don't know where to start- DC is doing Bond VR, NVR and Maths but not sure how much it will help. Anyone else in the same boat?
Babycat27

Re: CEM

Post by Babycat27 »

Hi Nimbus,
The Cem based exams focus a lot on vocabulary -spelling , meanings, synonyms , antonyms, short English comprehension .Timing is also key , so doing short 10 minute tests in maths , verbal and non verbal will be useful.
You can also buy books to help with Cem format. There are practise papers and tests avaliable. You can buy these from amazon or the Cgp website.
Hope this will be help to you.
pen&paper

Post by pen&paper »

The whole idea behind the CEM tests is that children are not familiar with the question types so that they cannot be taught/drilled by using techniques/methods.

However, there is a big overlap between CEM and GL in what is examined - it is the question type, the time allowed (in so much they are broken in to more timed sections) and the multiple-choice answer format that may be slightly different.

Some publishers have brought out workbooks and practice tests to help to prepare students for CEM tests and they will come with big disclaimers as it is impossible to predict the question styles. There are no official CEM workbooks or practice tests or question types. That having been said, there are some useful practice materials available, such as the CGP (Coordination Group Publications) 11+ practice books for maths, NVR and VR and their packs of practice tests (there are other publishers' versions but, in my opinion, not as helpful).

The best preparation for any CEM test will be to practise core skills in maths (numeracy & application of maths) & English (vocabulary & comprehension in particular) and then also familiarise your child with possible NVR types (all possible, not just GL types) and VR question types e.g. synonyms, antonyms.

Don't forget to include English skills (i.e. comprehension, spellings, vocabulary, punctuation & grammar) as these form part of the test - you didn't mention that you were preparing English.

Hope that helps you rather than send you in to a panic. CEM will assess your child's abilities fairly.
Last edited by pen&paper on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Thanks- that does really help. I have 1 further query though, on SGS website it says it is using the CEM style to test VR, NVR and Maths- do you think English and possibly come under the umbrella of VR or do you think it won't be included as it isn't mentioned?? :?: :?:
pen&paper

Post by pen&paper »

Yes, pretty sure that English skills do come under verbal reasoning for CEM tests.