Girls and STEM subjects and ....

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jean.Brodie

Girls and STEM subjects and ....

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi all! Have you seen this?

http://viralwomen.com/post/powerful_ad_ ... hes_pretty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Re: Girls and STEM subjects and ....

Post by Tinkers »

Where's the like button?

This along with toy retailers marketing toys by gender is really having a negative impact on both girls and boys.

Even my DD came home from school one day and said she wanted to be a vet because 'girls can do that can't they', seriously. From a girl with two engineers as parents.

I'm trying my best to convince kids of both genders to consider engineering and other STEM careers. Doesn't seem to work on DD though, she wants to be a pastry chef. At least I'll never be short of pudding.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Our words to our daughters are important.

On a similar theme I saw this recently.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/likeagir ... -1.1897069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
russet

Post by russet »

When businesses have a 50% female board I will start listening to their views on feminism more seriously, otherwise it is just irritatingly condescending.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

russet wrote:When businesses have a 50% female board I will start listening to their views on feminism more seriously, otherwise it is just irritatingly condescending.

A good point, so I checked P&G are 5/11 women.

http://www.pg.com/en_US/company/global_ ... tion.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

The trouble is though that most jobs are SO awful. Have spent some time trying to explain to the Misses Magwich (and to lazy Master Magwich) exactly WHY they would want to get the 0620hrs stinking overcrowded train to London to some dreadful job in the City whilst I have my first coffee of the day ( cost 5p rather than £2.20) sitting on the terrace overlooking the river. I always thought my powers of persuasion were OK but I'm not doing well here.
Having got to one's awful desk in the City 5mns ahead of all the viciously competitive women who would murder their own grandmothers for tuppence you will only come up against even more awful men who would stop at nothing at all.

What on earth is the point of living like that????????????
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

magwich2 wrote:The trouble is though that most jobs are SO awful. Have spent some time trying to explain to the Misses Magwich (and to lazy Master Magwich) exactly WHY they would want to get the 0620hrs stinking overcrowded train to London to some dreadful job in the City whilst I have my first coffee of the day ( cost 5p rather than £2.20) sitting on the terrace overlooking the river. I always thought my powers of persuasion were OK but I'm not doing well here.
Having got to one's awful desk in the City 5mns ahead of all the viciously competitive women who would murder their own grandmothers for tuppence you will only come up against even more awful men who would stop at nothing at all.

Neither of those lives is mine, but I guess the first lot do it so they can aspire to being like the second lot who have the luxury of sitting on a terrace overlooking the river while everyone else scrambles to work.

How is said "terrace overlooking the river" to be funded otherwise? :D Do you work magwich2? (I do btw).
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Yes I do - v hard indeed!!
russet

Post by russet »

RedVelvet, OK, Should have checked my facts first. Apologies.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

magwich2 wrote:The trouble is though that most jobs are SO awful. Have spent some time trying to explain to the Misses Magwich (and to lazy Master Magwich) exactly WHY they would want to get the 0620hrs stinking overcrowded train to London to some dreadful job in the City whilst I have my first coffee of the day ( cost 5p rather than £2.20) sitting on the terrace overlooking the river. I always thought my powers of persuasion were OK but I'm not doing well here.

My job isn't like that. Not at all.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now