one area causing CEM concern

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tiomanisland

one area causing CEM concern

Post by Tiomanisland »

:D
Last edited by Tiomanisland on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Re: one area causing CEM concern

Post by southbucks3 »

Which area are you in?

His mock score is probably a good indication for bucks, but in Stroud and Gloucester area you are in super selective area.

My suggestion would be to go right back to basics with his reading, choose a shorter book for younger children with hard vocabulary, such as one of the pullman gothic series, brilliant for vocab: ( firework makers daughter, scarecrow and his servant etc) or some Anthony Horowitz horror, (gruesham grange 1 and 2) read it with him getting him to stick a post it note on a page when he does not fully comprehend a word, at the end of each chapter, go through the words and make sure he has picked up on any inference too. You can use newspaper articles at dinner time too.

He obviously can read all his normal books as well, but this is an exercise in comprehension and vocab.
My eldest often read books guessing his way through bits he didn't fully understand....My dh still does, I swear we cone to different conclusions about the same book sonetimes and I suspect it is because he read it half asleep. :lol:

Also I went through fptp cloze word bank on about four of them with ds to check he knew the words then let him fill it in afterwards with his newly learnt word definitiond written down on paper, I made a copy of the cloze just for him, so he can have another go timed over the Sumner. This was a very constructive exercise, rather than scoring low, then correcting mistakes.
Good luck
Tiomanisland

Post by Tiomanisland »

southbucks3 wrote:Which area are you in?

His mock score is probably a good indication for bucks, but in Stroud and Gloucester area you are in super selective area.

My suggestion would be to go right back to basics with his reading, choose a shorter book for younger children with hard vocabulary, such as one of the pullman gothic series, brilliant for vocab: ( firework makers daughter, scarecrow and his servant etc) or some Anthony Horowitz horror, (gruesham grange 1 and 2) read it with him getting him to stick a post it note on a page when he does not fully comprehend a word, at the end of each chapter, go through the words and make sure he has picked up on any inference too. You can use newspaper articles at dinner time too.

He obviously can read all his normal books as well, but this is an exercise in comprehension and vocab.
My eldest often read books guessing his way through bits he didn't fully understand....My dh still does, I swear we cone to different conclusions about the same book sonetimes and I suspect it is because he read it half asleep. :lol:

Also I went through fptp cloze word bank on about four of them with ds to check he knew the words then let him fill it in afterwards with his newly learnt word definitiond written down on paper, I made a copy of the cloze just for him, so he can have another go timed over the Sumner. This was a very constructive exercise, rather than scoring low, then correcting mistakes.
Good luck

Thanks - helpful. Perhaps we should just make sure he knows meanings first - good idea, will try that next time around. It's mainly the cloze papers which have a word back at the top then the space in the text could, at first glance but a number of words!

ITs getting it all together in the time allowed.

What is the excepted pass marks for Gloucester then - is it much higher??!!

Thanks again
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

No pass mark this yr just ranking with cut off for how many they need.

I tried free rice for the first time today. DD loved the fact she was actually earning rice to feed people in Africa. V impressed !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Being really thick here Sunshine, do I take it that it will be like the Pates set up of only the top ???? get a place and that's it (barring appeals)? In which case, we wouldn't have the horrendous wait until March allocations.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes and no! if there are say 100 places for boys, and in October you are told your boy ranks in the top 100 boys then you are pretty certain of a place. Obviously, if you are ranked in the top 110 boys, you are likely to get a place, based on the fact that it is likely that at least 10 of the boys will have put another school as number one ranking for them or opt to go private. However, the lower down the ranking, the less certain it gets - for example if you are 120 or 140...you are relying on a lot more boys to "reject" the place or have put another school as a higher preference. in a way, this is almost a harder position to be in as it is not clear cut either way - if you rank 250th you know you pretty much haven't got a chance at that school! My numers here are for illustration only!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Thanks for that kenyancowgirl. I'm kind of hoping either ds romps home or bombs it, so at least we will be sort of spared the "in betweener's" misery I had with dd two years ago!
nadkha

Post by nadkha »

Southbucks3 please can you let me know where to get the fptp. Word bank from?

Thanks