What percentage in Bond practise papers??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
worriedmum76

What percentage in Bond practise papers??

Post by worriedmum76 »

My DS usually gets in the 80s% for VR/English, 75% for NVR and 85% for Maths. He wants to go to Judd. Is that an indicator of a good enough score?
tiffinboys

Re: What percentage in Bond practise papers??

Post by tiffinboys »

Practice GL papers. That would give you better idea.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

There's a big difference.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What do people mean by bond practice papers? The red books which are done by age or the mock type exam papers they do? Why have they made them easier than gl?

And when people say that bond is easier than gl, do they mean than gl practice papers or the real thing? And when they say the real thing, do they mean the kent real thing by gl or a gl exam elsewhere?

Worried mum 76, as the kent test is different this year in some way so no one knows if the raw score knowledge from previous years is relevant or not.

If you read the judd website you will find that the maths, vr and nvr score you quote would probably have got your son 140 in previous years if those had been the real papers. But who knows whether the real papers were harder or easier than the gl papers which are on sale. The gl books "vr, nvr, explained" state that the papers on sale contain an easier mix than the real thing.

All very confusing.

Why did you put together the vr and English?

Have you done all 32 gl papers now? We are still working through them and, like you, wondering whether or not we are off the mark for a particular superselective.

Good luck.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

From our experience, Bond Assessment papers (year-wise) were very easy for the particular year. Bond Test Practice papers were also not as hard as GL Practice papers. Again, the real exam would be harder than the commercially available Practice papers.

We also used Bond Comprehension papers. DC had found some of the Fifth papers some what difficult, specially poetry part.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comprehension-P ... prehension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DC did all of the GL Practice papers and finished by the end of August and from then till end of all tests, we kept revising on Less but often basis. Like 10-15 minutes daily for NVR/VR and 15 minutes maths esp. word problem solving. Only on Saturdays that we did 2 full GL or other papers with timings, so that DC had practice to sit for long hours in the exam. Learnt how many questions would be missed if needing toilet run. Another trick we did was to take 15 minutes revision papers in McDonald. Helped in learning to focus on paper and avoid distraction in the exam room.

Hope this helps.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh my. Why do other people's children do what their parents ask and mine don't? We have to have a big argument each time at home before any work starts .... I don't fancy doing that in McDonald's. It is a great idea though.

In Kent, the test this year is 10 September, so if one was wanting to do anything over and above the 32 GL papers you'd have to get through them all before the end of August. Yikes!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Oh my. Why do other people's children do what their parents ask and mine don't? We have to have a big argument each time at home before any work starts
Well, we use to have fair share of this issue. :lol: :lol:
But we got over with this once we went to open days in year 4. DC knew the alternative (our local comp). That more or less settled it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I haven't managed to find any terrifying looking schools round here. Pity.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

You are in some great area then. Need not worry much about selection tests. Que sera, sera. :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah, but the results can look terrifying even though the schools themselves look great on an open morning. But I don't think that will panic my child! She does know of a child who was bullied at one school non-selective though - I could remind her of that but that seems a bit mean as there's no guarantee of no bullying just because you pass the eleven plus!