TGS Open Evening 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stroller

TGS Open Evening 2014

Post by Stroller »

Well? Did you go?

I found the principal's speech scripted, stilted and uninspiringly delivered. The second head girl's message was the best-delivered by far of the three talks. My daughter's unsolicited observation was that the other head girl used the word 'peers' repetitively but never used the word 'friends'. I'd agree: lighten up and let us see that you are enjoying your youth!

The ethnic diversity of the school wasn't reflected on stage or in the picture of the ball girls. (And don't get me started on the merits of prioritising ball girls as an aspirational story...)

More positively, we met any number of friendly, smart, funny girls throughout the school who chatted honestly and represented their school well. The teachers were present but not in an overpowering way. There were plenty of activities for the Year 5 girls. All in all, it seems like a good school.

Results aside, and there are comparable schools with even higher points at the other end, the head isn't my cup of tea [not that she'll be worried about my view :lol: ]. If DD didn't already have a friend there, I'm not sure whether it would make our short list.

What did you think?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tiffinboys

Re: TGS Open Evening 2014

Post by tiffinboys »

Well, apart from the comments about HT, generally agree with Stroller. HT came about as quite articulate and passionate about the School and the girls there; didn't put girls as the lucky one to be given place, as we heard at one other school earlier.

All in all, a good impression, though it would be better to have more than one open session as it was too crowded.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I'm glad you both got a generally good impression. My DD was helping and said it was strange to be on the other side after her last open day when she was a visitor. She absolutely loves the school and would heartily recommend it. I'm also glad you knew which school you were visiting: a visiting mother towing a small boy asked one of my DD's friends where the boys were, and promptly left when told she was at an all girls' school. The clue's in the name!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

How are the school clubs? The impression we got was that, unless the girls are in sports team or orchestra, these are not very functional. Usually run by six formers, who are obviously busy with their exams and university interviews. Mostly lunch time clubs, so very little time. And very few clubs as well. Not much choice there (unless sports/music). No debating club etc.

Perhaps Peridot or other tgs parent can give other views?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I only really know about music and drama as that's what my dd is interested in. There are two choirs, at least two orchestras, jazz bands and lots of smaller groups. The standard is astonishingly high especially when you consider they are not selected on musical ability. There is an end of year concert tonight at 7 as a farewell to the head of music who is retiring (excellent replacement starting in sept). I'm sure there are still tickets available on the door.
We also went to the lower school drama production last week which was again excellent, as was the whole school musical at Christmas.

I don't know about other clubs - if I remember I will ask my daughter what's available.

One choir rehearses after school, the other at lunchtimes. Drama club organised by sixth formers and runs at lunchtime but rehearsals for the production were at lunch and after school and organised by teachers. Very well organised with good information coming out about rehearsal schedules.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Good question, tiffinboys. Helpful answer, Peridot. Thank you.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thank you, Peridot. Great school, good teachers. I hope, also great after-school extra-curricular activities. DC not into music or sports much. But would love after school, Language, Debating, or literature or Maths Challenge clubs. Is after school drama club open to whole year group or those selected for drama production?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

TB as regards language, literature and maths challenges they do an awful lot of that within lessons. The whole y7 curriculum seems to have been one long exciting challenge for my DD. You should see how much she's written in her books, and the powerpoints, newsletters, flyers, artwork etc she's produced.

The contrast between year 6 work and year 7 is huge. If your DD gets into the school she will be stimulated and fulfilled intellectually I promise, whether or not there are clubs for those topics you mention.

Debating club I don't know about but they do a lot of group presentation/debating/ performing etc within lessons like history, English etc. If my DD doesn't have drama or music at lunch she quite likes just hanging out with friends as she's done so much in her lessons. The periods are all an hour long so they can achieve a lot in each one.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Sorry, drama club at lunch; drama production rehearsals (if they pass audition) both lunch and after school but only for a few weeks before the production.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks for detailed reply, Peridot. Very helpful.