Any specific benefits to move from QEB at 13+ to independent

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aman

Any specific benefits to move from QEB at 13+ to independent

Post by aman »

Hi - My son is in QEB. We never applied for any independent schools at 11+. Wondering if it makes sense to try for 13+ now?? Can anyone suggest if it can have any benefits over QEB? He is quite happy and settled in QEB and I will not move him unless he gets a good scholarship or there is a real benefit in moving. Any suggestions will be helpful as the deadlines for 13plus admissions are approaching soon.
Also, does anyone know if independents offer scholarships at 13+, if yes to what extent?
HappyCow

Re: Any specific benefits to move from QEB at 13+ to indepen

Post by HappyCow »

Hi there,
Excuse me for asking but I am curious (as I am sure many others are) to know why you would consider moving your DS from QEB to an independent?
Is there some other underlying reason?
Has QEB not met your expectations?

As regards 13+ exams, have you looked at the papers? That should provide some indication into what is expected. I have only been through the 11+ but the 13+ entry from what I can see and having spoken to schools is a different ball game altogether. For one, it is an exam in every subject.
What schools are you considering?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Lots of gentlemen's agreements between prep schools and secondary indys at 13 plus entrance and you will also need a very good reference from QEB so would it really be wise to upset that particular lion? What do you think you would gain? I can't think of a single indy that would be worth leaving QEB for? Look how many boys they get into Medicine and Oxbridge then compare those figures to some of top local indys. DG
copella

Post by copella »

Your DS is at one of the best schools in the country and you describe him as settled and QUITE happy. Are you worried about him and whether he will make the cut at sixth form? It's your use of the word quite which makes me think it may not have been all you and he hoped otherwise, I can't understand why you would contemplate moving him again. I can't see what a move to an indie would do for him. I am sure there are plenty of good indies out there but you would have to weigh up your DS starting afresh, making new friends etc.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Don't want to get involved in this except to say that if I heard someone say they are quite happy I take that to mean they are perfectly happy and content thank you very much. I don't see it as a modifier in the way that you do copella.

But only the OP knows what they meant :D
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Don't want to get involved too, but it is the case of 'quite happy, but'? It is this but which makes the difference. Only OP knows what is they after at another school.

As DG mentioned, other than qualifying tests and interview, a good reference from QEB would be essential and that would need good diplomatic skills in case the boy continues at QEB.
copella

Post by copella »

Clearly we can never know what is behind half the questions on this site. The op is asking for advice to either stay at QE or go for a good scholarship. I think the child's happiness, how they have settled and the impact of any move needs to also be considered. As I said before perhaps it is also a worry about post year 11 culling. As tiffin boys says there seems to be a 'but'.
aman

Post by aman »

Did not see the messages until now...thanks for all the advice.
It was just a thought, just to understand if the DS is missing out anything being in QE vs in Indies. I did not have any expectations so there is no question of discontentment with school. My son is happy and settled. Net, seeing the messages here, I think 13+ for indies might not be a good idea, especially when there is no apparent benefit.
Thanks all.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now