Anyone else find gl assessment full tests tough??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worriedmum76

Anyone else find gl assessment full tests tough??

Post by worriedmum76 »

My DS1 did the full practise paper and percentage dropped compared to bond. Went down to 70s in maths compared to 80s and NVR was 60 per cent. Anyone else find it really tough? And how do you prepare for NVR in gl
tiffinboys

Re: Anyone else find gl assessment full tests tough??

Post by tiffinboys »

If your DC attempted GL NVR paper 1, it is known to be notoriously difficult. See many posts about it in NVR section. Go to basics, work on concepts and re-attempt. Next paper would be fine.
worriedmum76

Post by worriedmum76 »

thanks tiffin boys, got really worried there. Any suggestions on NVR study books. I have the bond one
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

GL produce their own explanation book, I think it is called "11+ nvr essential skills" or similar.

Don't forget it will be easier for dc to concentrate for the full time when surrounded by nothing but peers doing the sane test. Did you find a drop in correct answers towards the end of the tests? Did you stay in the same room whilst he did the test? Kids get distracted easier without the presence of authority in some form or another. (Well we all do really, don't we) You do not need to hover, just be getting on with something in the vicinity.

With the nvr did you notice which types he struggled with most, or did he drop equal marks in all sections? The first is easier to help with, the second is a case of returning to the basic rules, he may have started trying to cut corners, which simply does not work in nvr, you have to be methodical or you may miss a tiny similarity.

Good luck with paper 2
Amber

Post by Amber »

southbucks3 wrote:Don't forget it will be easier for dc to concentrate for the full time when surrounded by nothing but peers doing the sane test.
Is there one?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Yep, Lord lost the family fortune of camblewick green, has his triplets sitting the test to prove that all nobility are not as mad as a box of frogs....or otherwise.

Cheeky!
Last edited by southbucks3 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

You two are going off topic. :wink:

@ OP: GL book is good. You could also try AE workbooks and test papers. SB3 has also made other good suggestions. Review the mistakes with DC and clear the concepts at the same time. GL NVR is only 6 types, hope your DC will clear his concepts and pick up speed.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As a sort of related, but slightly off topic, aside...both my boys were very good at NVR (but then they are both strong on Maths and there is a link) - one of the games they played a lot was Tetris. I think this might have helped as they certainly didn't do any NVR at school, or much practice - rotating shapes speedily - added bonus is that they think they are playing a computer game!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now