YEAR 3 reading level

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chocolate25

YEAR 3 reading level

Post by Chocolate25 »

Hi all,
My dd's teacher told me a few months a go that my daughter's reading age is 11 y 10 months. She is currently in Year 3, aged 8 .
The School report I received last week says that her reading level is 3c/4a. Does this sound right? I expected a much higher level since her reading age is nearly 12?
I would appreciate any advice.
Stroller

Re: YEAR 3 reading level

Post by Stroller »

Chocolate25 wrote: The School report I received last week says that her reading level is 3c/4a. Does this sound right?
Nothing to do with your child at all, but you should have another look at the report. It's very unlikely to have 3c beside 4a. If that's what it actually says, I'd ask the teacher to explain it.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I think reading age is just based on reading certain words in a list , where the NC level will be taking comprehension and other things into account. Just thinking about it may be about right if an average 11 yr old is assessed as level 4b. ( Should the level mentioned been 3a/4c? )
mystery

Post by mystery »

Reading age can be assessed in more than one way - there are a multitude of tests and they will probably all allocate a different reading age to the child!

If it is 3a/4c at the end of year 3 that is a good result.
Chocolate25

Post by Chocolate25 »

Yes, apologies, her level is 3a/4c
Chocolate25

Post by Chocolate25 »

mystery wrote:Reading age can be assessed in more than one way - there are a multitude of tests and they will probably all allocate a different reading age to the child!

If it is 3a/4c at the end of year 3 that is a good result.

Many thanks. I wasn't sure if this level reflected her reading age correctly.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What did the reading test test? Decoding and / or comprehension?

The nc levels are based on a whole load of reading comprehension criteria.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I think I would paraphrase others' responses and say if the reading age test is the same as my children had at primary it is a pretty inexact science. I'd take a lot more notice of the n/c levels. At my children's school quite a few of them came up as having reading ages several years ahead, especially the girls as they read a lot and accumulated more vocabulary.
Chocolate25

Post by Chocolate25 »

mystery wrote:What did the reading test test? Decoding and / or comprehension?

Good point. I will ask the teacher next week.Thank you for your help.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Yes that's spot on, my DS was 3A in reading at Christmas time and that translated to a reading age of 11, he is Y3. My DD is a 4A which translates to a reading age of 12.05 years and she is Y5. If they are avid readers this is about right.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now