Weald and togs - class sizes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Weald and togs - class sizes

Post by mystery »

How big are the teaching class sizes at these schools? Anyone with current experience?
JJ123

Re: Weald and togs - class sizes

Post by JJ123 »

Hi, Mine is year 7 at wok and she's in a class of 26
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thank you. Is she always taught in a group of 26? Do you know what teaching group sizes they aim at in different subjects / years?

Thanks
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

I'm so sorry i dont. I believe the largest year 7 is currently 28. They remain as a form ie this size but are streamed in just a few subjects in year 9. But my understanding is the form size remains.

Sorry i cant help more, have you tried their web site ?
kent mum
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

mystery wrote:Ah thank you. Is she always taught in a group of 26? Do you know what teaching group sizes they aim at in different subjects / years?

Thanks
Yes meant to say she does everything with this group of 26 other than tech/food science that are split in two
Minty

Post by Minty »

How is she finding life at Weald? Am hoping it might suit my dd who leans more towards the creative subjects, if she is lucky enough to pass this Autumn of course. Have heard lots of good things about Togs but have a feeling it might not be right for her.
Very much like the idea of only 26 in the class too!!

Minty
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Hi there, she absolutely adores it.

Mine had a place at TOGS as most of her friends were going there but we opted for Wok and it was the best decision we could have made. We felt TOGS was more suited to the highly ambitious very competitive girl ( i don't mean this in a bad way i know may who love it there and do so well there)

But my DD needs a more softly softly approach. Academics are great as is all the crafty stuff but it's the sports that shine for me. She does a club (for fun not just for teams) every lunch time and the sports day held last wednesday was a complete joy they were running in tutus,cheeleader costumes and dressed as bananas dependent on house colour. Such a great atmosphere. I could hear them all chanting miles down the road.

Every day she loves going to school and that meant more to me than any grades... but you get that too :) and the girls she have met are very similar to her. Sweet kind funny girls. We feel very blessed.

I could rave about it forever ... have a little sister who i hope so much will join her in a few years.

If you have any other questions please fire away but i fear i am a little biased now. Good luck to you DD.It's so worth all those Bond papers !!
Minty

Post by Minty »

Oh thank you - lovely to hear your dd so happy there and you have described pretty much everything I could want for mine. Have to be careful not to get ahead of myself though. Went through this 5 years ago with ds (now in year 10 at Twgsb and very happy there), but am ridiculously nervous about going through it all again.

Fingers crossed and best of luck to everyone taking the exam this year...
Minty
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Minty wrote:Oh thank you - lovely to hear your dd so happy there and you have described pretty much everything I could want for mine. Have to be careful not to get ahead of myself though. Went through this 5 years ago with ds (now in year 10 at Twgsb and very happy there), but am ridiculously nervous about going through it all again.

Fingers crossed and best of luck to everyone taking the exam this year...
Minty
Another benefit of Weald is that they do everything as a class together until year 9... so every subject/break times etc. Togs don't- they have a "form" class but then they split the classes up so that they can mix with other children.They all go to different lessons from many of their form. I have heard this (albeit initially) made friendships harder to establish. At Weald this is not an issue and their class bond very quickly. This works much better for my DD. Just something else to consider. Some girls might of course like the diversity that togs offers in terms of friendship groups.
mystery

Post by mystery »

TOGS has vertical (mixed age) form tutor groups too.

So doesn't Weald set in any subject until year 9?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now