EEK - Help, it's all so bewildering!!!! First Timer

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

EEK - Help, it's all so bewildering!!!! First Timer

Post by Snowdrops »

Hello All

First time posting for me and I know there's a lot of experience on this board, so I hope you'll be able to advise me.

Bright daughter currently year 5. Have been advised she is suitable to sit 11+ entrance exam by her teacher.

I have read a lot of these threads and have become confused already as most of you are referring to things which I have never even heard of, and also I believe the system may be slightly different (from what I've read anyhow - lol) 'down south' to how it is here in North Yorkshire.

I have spoken to the local education office and they advise there are two types of test - Verbal English and Non-Verbal maths. Does this sound right or have I misunderstood?

They did say NFER 11+ books were the ones closest to the test they use (multiple choice), so I have been Googling them already.

I asked her class teacher about a tutor but she said she was bright enough and didn't need one - but I still worry!!!!

This is something daughter wants to do, which hopefully will make it easier on all of us :shock: but your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I guess what I'm really asking is, have I understood properly what the lea office told me and is there anything else I should do/know/worry about?

Your help is much appreciated already, thanks :D

Annie
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Annie

First of all welcome.

Have you looked at the North Yorks section of the forum, found further down the front page, alternativley click on the following link...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=24

Patricia
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi Patricia

Thanks for the welcome.

I have spotted the North Yorkshire board (after I posted here - ain't that always the way!!), but it doesn't look very busy.

I'd still appreciate any guidance from all comers?

Annie
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

practice seems to be the key, the more familiar and at ease with th eformat your child is the less daunting it will seem.

Make sure mental maths spelling etc are up to scratch too. There are lots of tips for improving vocabulary, recognising compound words etc on this site.

Bestthing to do is to have a goodlook round teh site. Teh home page is a good place to start , look at 11+ advice.

Don;t be afraid to ask questions however simple they may seem. Ther is always at least one person who will help out.
chad

Post by chad »

Sounds as if it is the NFER 11+ Verbal & Non-Verbal reasoning (multiple choice.

VR is word and code based. NVR is picture/symbol based.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/freque ... stions.php
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/vr-que ... region.php

There are some great revision aids in the Free download section of the site. (See the HOME page on the left hand side.)

There are also some downloadable e-papers (in the same kind of format) for a minimum cost and also some CD's .

There is also a 'shop' where you can get NFER practice papers (slightly further down the page). If you give them a ring they are very helpful.
You can also get these on the High St.

Familiarisation with the type of question is the main thing.... there isn't much 'thinking' time so it is best if you can recognise the question and immediately know how to approach it.
Please post on the N.Yorkshire Board as well....as you may get a more comprehensive reply. :roll:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Annie

I cannot help on NVR.

If the VR test is NFER Multiple Choice, the next question will be is it 15 or 21 types, if in doubt teach all 21..

Publishers that cover the 21 include, IPS, The Tutors, Susan Daughtrey [Bright Sparks only] Walsh, AFN.

You need a method and technique book to teach yourself all the types, I would recommend IPS M and T book.

All of the above are available from this website or high street book stores [ the Tutors material is only available from this site]

You could look at the Tutors demo CD to see the 21 types...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the ... lume-1.php

As yoyo says its lots of practice...

Patricia
snowdrops

Post by snowdrops »

WOW - thanks for a great response.

I am becoming familiar with the site now and shall look in all the suggested places - thanks.

Patricia, this is one of my problems, what are the different 'types' you refer to? - Looks like I didn't ask quite all the right questions when I 'phoned did it?

Am looking forward to conversing with you all.

Thanks for a great start!!!

Annie
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Annie

If you are going to stick around it may be worth registering, its quite painless and completely confidential...

Patricia
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I've been through the "experience" twice in North Yorks - please feel free to PM me

Herman
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Annie

the papers in N Yorks are NVR and VR - held over three days separated by a few days - first is practice and second and third days are test days. The best VR score of the 2 days and the best NVR score are counted.

The pass mark is drawn at top 28% of local kids. It is quite a bit higher in Skipton than Ripon - don't even get into the discussion about why, it just is!
Kids outside catchment have to reach the same score and then get allocated on distance

Where are you living?