CGP, 11+ Practice Test Papers, CEM (Durham University) Test.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SingleDad

CGP, 11+ Practice Test Papers, CEM (Durham University) Test.

Post by SingleDad »

Hi all,

CGP, 11+ Practice Test Papers, For The CEM (Durham University) Test. Pack 1

We tried this test paper for the first time. I temporarily misplaced Set A, so went straight into Set B Papers 1 and 2. My daughter struggled with this paper, achieving 60% in Paper 1 and 75% in Paper 2. She's been doing OK in other 11+ practice work we've been working on, but I must admit this one has knocked my confidence a little.

I'll be going through the paper with her in a little while to find out more about where she struggled, but I've already told her not to worry and that this was a tough paper.

I'd be interested to know how others have found these papers.

Thanks.
bucksdaddy

Re: CGP, 11+ Practice Test Papers, CEM (Durham University) T

Post by bucksdaddy »

My DD struggled on Paper 1 as well, particularly the antonyms and synonyms.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You will get a much better response if you put this in the CEM section which is next to English and Maths. Students all over the country are doing these same tests. DG
SingleDad

Post by SingleDad »

Daogroupie wrote:You will get a much better response if you put this in the CEM section which is next to English and Maths. Students all over the country are doing these same tests. DG
Thanks

Will do.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... it=cpg+cem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think your question has been covered quite a lot lately in the above thread and others.

Search for "cpg cem" and it brings up all the posts.

Your dd' s mark is roughly on target, but remember cpg is just an idea of what cem may be like, not an accurate picture of her ability to pass the bucks test.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Yes the later CGP tests are tough. My DD's results have varied quite wildly on these. We are now onto First Past the Post papers, these are nice short, sharp tests. Any practice is good, and we find the CGP great for highlighting weaknesses and for vocab building. :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ok folks, just did a test paper with Mr I want to score 100 (son number three), to see if he has a hope in h*'ll! :lol: I need your help please:

Marking comprehension in section two: practice set 2 (the test number two son had scribbled least on)

Question 3, how do we know the Hollywood sign trust was not formed in 1978, with the fund raiser money?

Question 4, we do not know when he erected the sign or when the chamber of commerce took the sign down do we?

Am I being over nice to my little man, or are these really not sensible questions.
I was also a meany because I split his results 50/30/20 and he got 86% in his nvr bit. Tch, I never thought the harsh side of me would out on a ten year old..his sulk was only lessened by chocolate. :lol:

I have told him he doesn't have to do any more anyway, he got well over 60% bless him even after I split his score and even though he got 2/16 in the antonyms, mostly because he cannot spell....He got 15/18 in the synonyms where you just pick a word. Obviously I had to tell him to make a joke of it, breath deeply, don't let it bother you, etc, as the tears formed in his eyes, poor little mite.
No more tests, just a bit (lot) of spelling practice now for the foreseeable future :wink:
Teach

Post by Teach »

I have done this paper with my twins and they scored 67% and 71% respectively. I tell them to play to their strengths and that they will not be able to answer every question and nor will anyone else. Their weakness was the maths and the antonyms. With the later I said to use the answers to help with firstly working out the word and secondly actually spelling it. The Hollywood comprehension was testing! We are working on those areas that they are good at to instil confidence and looking at some areas of maths which are weak and that with a little bit of thought, rather than panic, they can do.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Agree about playing to strengths...He actually likes doing comprehension and nvr and pretty much always gets most questions right, on any paper. That is why he had the confidence to argue the Hollywood thing.
The antonyms answer sheet printed off was so tiny I had to borrow my sons glasses to see it clearly :lol: , he guessed about fifty per cent of the words correctly, but he really cannot spell or differentiate between vowel sounds at all, so from that fifty per cent he lost the rest by choosing the wrong vowel.
He didn't finish the maths by far, but got all he did right, so I have told him to stick with that, as it got him 60% correct. Better than rushing and making extra errors.

I do have a horrible feeling in the real test he will get his antonym questions mixed up with his synonyms and get the whole busting lot wrong, he lapses in the middle of lists, quickly rubs out, mumbles to himself and goes off again. :lol: sure sign his mind is really up a tree or wading in a river, whilst his body is stuck at a table.

Roll on the 11th, we can go and get a nice Chinese meal and forget about 11+ tests......forever....ha ha ha ..Yes!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now