11+ Herts Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Princess1612

11+ Herts Schools

Post by Princess1612 »

hello can anyone recommend good schools in herts pending a good outcome on the 11+ exam,i'm a bit confused, and if the unthinkable happens what are my options?thanks :roll:
Daogroupie

Re: 11+ Herts Schools

Post by Daogroupie »

Herts is a huge county. You have to give us some idea where you are based before we can help you with this. Which schools are you applying for? DG
Princess1612

Post by Princess1612 »

Thank s for the prompt reply ! We live in North Watford, but out of the catchment area for Parmiters, We are doing the 11+ in september for the SW Herts consortium , but the ere are only 2 other non-consortium schools availble if we dont get into our chosen schools; grammar or parmiters or queens
Nearlytimetopanic

Post by Nearlytimetopanic »

Hi Princess1612

First of all don't panic....I know I'm a fine one to talk with my user name BUT we're also in North Watford & it's really quite well located for all of the consortium schools when it comes to travel distance. The down side is that most addresses will not get you a distance place unless you're close enough for a band A place at Bushey Meads. You've mentioned preferences for Parmiters, Grammar & Queens but you are in catchment for all of the consortium schools so it may be worth considering the others too. Have a look at the admissions sticky in the Hertfordshire section. It will show historic distances and test scores required.  You could also consider doing the Bucks 11+ with an eye on Chesham Grammar, though that's a fair trek and becoming more popular than in the past so may not have spaces to come out this far. Have you visited the non-selectives that are closest..Francis Combe & Bushey Academy. I don't know anyone at BA but know some families at FC who have been pleased with it.
How is your preparation going and have you tried any mock tests? You can also try the music test, Queens sports test & Bushey Meads technology test (nvr) to maximise your chances. Try posting in the Hertfordshire section too as many people there will have info on these schools. Good luck.
Princess1612

Post by Princess1612 »

Panic thanks for replying, I will do as you have suggested, we looked at all the schools nearest to us last year and some in St. Albans,alas I am even more confused than ever, not really keen on FCOombe ,st michaels looks nice tho, will,try and organise a mock test this weekend if they have any space,in suppose one won't know what school to put until the results are out,I liked STAGGs but a bit of a trek,how many choices do I get to put on the form in total?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Four. You will need to be within a few streets to get into the good schools in St Albans so I would concentrate on the opportunities you have in Watford which are considerably more than most in Herts. DG
Nearlytimetopanic

Post by Nearlytimetopanic »

DG is right about the St. Albans schools..we know plenty of people who actually live there and haven't been able to get their preferences. We do see girls in Loreto uniforms travelling on the bus to St. Albans from N. Watford so, if you've considered St. Michaels and are Catholic , that may be feasible.

Do you have a firm no.1 choice out of the 3 consortium schools you've mentioned? I expect most children will find it easier to put in the effort if they desperately want to go to a particular school. I'd suggest aiming for a firm favourite or 2, but don't necessarily rule the other consortium schools out until you've got the results, as they admit children with a very wide range of scores and all are considered very good.

If you can't book a mock, try doing your own in the library. Someone suggested that to me and, though you don't get the comparison with others in the cohort, it was helpful for dealing with noises, temperature fluctuations etc.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now