NVR at AGGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elijo

NVR at AGGS

Post by Elijo »

Hi, I just wondered of anyone knows what format the non verbal will take. Will it be in sections of 12 questions at 6 mins each or will they get a 30 min paper to do all at once?
The Bond books have 12 questions at a time in 10 minutes but is this too much time as I thought 12 questions needed to be completed in 6 mins! Any advice much appreciated on how to speed up on these!
pen&paper

Re: NVR at AGGS

Post by pen&paper »

We have to presume it is exactly the same as past AGSB entrance exams:

20 questions of the same question type to be completed in 10 mins x 2 = i.e. 40 questions in total. The question types examined change from year to year.

Speeding up only comes with plenty of timed practice and a good mental checklist to look at individual shape/pattern component parts e.g. looking for rotations, shade changes, shape changes, size changes etc. etc. (this is a long list - so perhaps try to make up some easy methods of remembering a few).
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

The NVR will be 20 mins (2x10 minute papers). So if you are using the bond 10 minute tests you will need to try and complete them in less than the time allocated in order to speed up enough for the proper exam (presuming it will be 40 questions in the 20 minutes).
I don't have any specific techniques that can increase speed, practice seems to be the main technique.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hi,

Yes it is 30s per question....for 40 questions....so 20 mins. The test begins after some practice questions. First you are given 20 questions and answer sheet to mark answers - this will be for 10 mins. Then the question paper is taken away, and another set of 20 questions are given, and in the same answer sheet that you would continue marking the answers. Very clear instructions are given. This was how it was done last year @AGSB.

The key to NVR is practice...and to keep on top of it. Everyday at least 15 mins in the morning and 15 min in the evening. Not alot...but i think this is enough. Any question pls ask.
Elijo

Post by Elijo »

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot . just to clarify, is the AGGS exam exactly the same as the Boys exam, as it is the girls exam I am talking about! Thanks
Elijo

Post by Elijo »

Oh, also, anybody know if Cubes questions ever come up on GL papers? Only seen the, in Bond books!
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello Elijo,

The ans to your first question, whether the AGGS and AGSB exams are the same.....no one knows for sure. But from reliable sources, and in experience of my son sitting for the boys one last year and a close friend's daughter sitting hers at AGGS- yes it seems it is the same format .But I wouldn't rely on this info, you could ask the school the question.

Your second question- whether to expect cube questions. Pls do, as the question types changes every year- and nets and cubes are good practice for the brains. My DS does not remember the nvr types given in the exam, but we did practice cubes and DS enjoyed it so much..... :D . It may not appear in GL papers- but that doesn't mean it is not in their question bank......
Elijo

Post by Elijo »

Thanks Oshkosh. You have cleared that one up for me!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now