Year 7 maths text book

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Terri

Year 7 maths text book

Post by Terri »

I wonder if anybody could help me by suggesting a maths text book for year 7 ? I would like one with worked examples and then questions testing the understanding of the examples (and answers somewhere at the back to check to )

My daughter is in year 7, and has been given a text book called SMP interact 7c from the Cambridge school maths project.It is okay, but of little help if you don't understand the topic already, as it launches straight into questions and we have spent several tense evening scouring the internet for examples.......

Thank you
Terri
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I can't reply without breaking forum rules re advertising! Have you looked at BBC site - good revision stuff which might help.
katel

Post by katel »

Have you thought of dropping a note to the teacher explaining the problem and asking for help? The school shouldn't be giving homework that the child can't do! Does she have a text book?
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

My daughter is in year 7 at an independent school and she uses STP 7A,Nelson Thornes.
I hope this info is alright to post.If not my sincere apologises.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The STP series are very old books that do not follow most schemes of work in Secondary schools - not recommended
Terri

Post by Terri »

thank you everybody for your replies.

I am not sure what to do, I have trawled through Amazon and Waterstones and the choice is just vast and I don't know what is most appropriate book for a year 7 pupil.
My daughter doesn't want to involve her teacher as she is new to the school and doesn't want the teacher to know.The text book she has been issued isn't helpful when she needs to go over elements she hasn't understood in the lesson as its just questions.
I have looked at the BBC websites(endlessly) but wanted a real book that my daughter and I could look at so we could see the standard and ensure that the subject areas she is weakest in are enriched.
I feel a bit lost.
Terri
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

I didn't realise that the STP books are not recommended for Secondary schools.My daughter's school seem to do extremely well on these books and they target level 7 and 8 by keystage 3. I have no problems with my daughter using them. :D
chad

Post by chad »

Not sure on text book...will post later today (after looking in sons school bag.)

To explain basics in Year 7 - I used the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Maths. ISBN 0746051573.
All of his Year 7 topics were covered and now he is in Year 8 we are still using it (simultaneous equations and substitution at the mo).
It has explanations, diagrams and examples.

He doesn't need it all the time but it has been great if he was unsure. :roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm a great fan of the usborne dictionary.....
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Not strictly year 7 but we purchased the CGP KS3 and GCSE books to support our year seven adventure, has really helped me. :D

stevew61
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now