Northampton and Milton Keynes

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
year5mom

Northampton and Milton Keynes

Post by year5mom »

Can anyone suggest good independent schools in these two areas. Came across pitford school and Akeley wood.

Any one have any info about exams for these schools? Is the preparation for bucks 11, enough for these or are they more difficult to prepare?

My DC looks very abled (thank God), would like to try an inde.

Thanks.
gameon

Re: Northampton and Milton Keynes

Post by gameon »

Hi there

Akeley wood is not suitable for very able kids in my opinion. I know couple of my friends put their kids and took them out after a year because they didn't feel their kids being stimulated enough.
I haven't heard about pitford school.
Have you looked at Bedford schools? If you have dd the Northampton high also has very good reputation.

Akeleywood exam is very easy if you preparing them for bucks. Bedford exams are harder but not hard as Bucks.
year5mom

Post by year5mom »

Thank you gameon, that's very useful.

Didn't think about Bedford, as I think I heard from someone that the fees is too high. Didn't look myself the details. What more to prepare other thank bucks 11+ for Bedford Modern-would you know?

Thanks
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

My friend has a child at akeley wood and they absolutely love the very caring, nurturing nature of the school. The academic results are good too.
Until you have a look for yourself you will never know if it is right for your child.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Akeley Wood mainly takes 11+ non-qualifiers from Year 7.

GCSE results seem fine but not good at A level as the best GCSE students apply to Royal Latin sixth form.
gameon

Post by gameon »

I think Bedford modern mainly tests them on English and maths. Doing GL assessments / bond etc will be enough. My DS took the Bedford exam few years ago and he passed but we mainly focused on Bucks that time. I don't think these exams are tough like some London private schools. There is also Bedford boys and Bedford girls ( joined Dame Alice) as well.

Guest55 right. Most of non 11+ qualifiers from our prep goes to Akley wood and they are happy in that environment . But if you have a very able child then they might get bored.
year5mom

Post by year5mom »

Really valuable inputs. Thanks a lot
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Just remembered Thornton, for girls only. When I was a youngster it was run by nuns, but now I think it is a normal indie? This used to be the place "posh" kids vanished to after a year at my comp, a long time before anyone even considered pupils commuting miles and miles. I do remember they always beat us at hockey, so some of our team resonded to their jeers in the predictable way. (Well ...No one wore shin pads in those days :lol: )
Worth a look if you have a girl...Thornton is a gorgeous village.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All north Bucks private schools won't have top 30% as they will be elsewhere .... teaching reflects that.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Speaking from experience I found Akeley to be excellent. If you have your sights set on the 11+ then say that up front when you contact the school and you'll get an honest response about how willing they are to support your child through that process.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now