School reports

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2childmum

School reports

Post by 2childmum »

Does anyone know anything about the legal requirements for school reports? I know the schools have to provide a written report each year, but what is the definition of 'written'. My son's reports only ever have a string of numbers and letters with a sentence at the end from the form tutor. The numbers are not consistent even within a subject , let alone across subjects or across reports. The latest one seems to say that my sciency, mathsy son is better at art than either maths or science which is an absolute joke as his worst subject is art! There is never any indication about where his strengths lie, nor what he could do to improve.

Thanks for your help
succeed

Re: School reports

Post by succeed »

I think it depends on the type of report - if the one received is a 'half term' over view, they will appear as you describe. Schools are under no obligation to provide these at all, though most now do. You should, however, receive at least one full annual report with clear and detailed comments as well as an opportunity to discuss progress at parent's evening during the year.
These six week or 'half termly reports are often 'surprising', as the teachers will probably not have accumulated sufficient evidence to glean an accurate assessment yet and your child may have 'hiding his light under a bushel' thus far. Reports post Christmas tend to be far more reliable. If you have any real concerns, however, you should contact the school and ask to speak with the Head Of Year.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Thank you for your answer. My son is in year 9 and we have only ever received these 'reports' - 3 a year, but no written reports. I haven't been able to find a definition of 'written report' so apart from a note after the first one in year 7 asking if we would receive a written report (which elicited no answer) I haven't done anything about it. I am now beginning to get rather cross with the system as I feel, now that he has started some GCSE courses, that we need more idea about where his strengths and weaknesses lie. I don't feel I can talk to the school about it without a clear idea about what the legal requirement is.
bikeman

Post by bikeman »

I know this is an old thread but it is a subject close to my heart and something parents should think about when choosing a school.

My child attends Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School in Aylesbury. Throughout each year I received a summary report each term which displayed a numerical indication of 'effort' and a measure of 'attainment' shown only as a code e.g. 4b, 5c etc.

These interim reports contained no statement as to what the national curriculum required for each subject, no reference to the class average attainment and no comments from subject teachers on her individual progress, strengths/weaknesses, personal development requirements etc.

Opportunity to discuss progress directly with teachers is provided mid year by a 5 minute slot on a single evening.

At the end of the summer term, rather than a comprehensive roundup of the year, the same report is again provided with the addition of a single paragraph of comment from the form tutor. No comments are provided from any of the subject teachers.

End of year exam results are provided separately again as a completely uninformative code e.g. 4c, 7b etc. Again there is no explanation as to what percentage was obtain in the exam or how these equate to the codes.

The report is sent out a few days before end of term and therefore there is no chance of any discussion with teachers. I'd suggest also with such an uninformative report there is also no handover between teachers from one year to the next.

So if your happy just getting your child into a grammar school and then having no idea how they are performing for the next 5 years, send your child to Sir Henry Floyd Grammar. If, like me, you expect a bit more do ask your prospective school what they provide by way of parent reporting.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons that SHFGS lost it's 'outstanding' rating in it's last review by Ofsted.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd suggest also with such an uninformative report there is also no handover between teachers from one year to the next.
This is inaccurate and ill-informed. I know the school has a detailed tracking system for all students and all staff can access it. Do you look at the onine system for your child at all? This is an excellent source of information; almost too much.

I never had any problem getting detailed feedback from the school; have you discussed your worries with anyone?

The school was not downgraded ... where did you get this information from????
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

This is an exact description of our local comp reporting system, and we have no online access. Maybe this is standard? We are supposed to be able to meet with the teacher separately if we want more than 5 mins, but I was fobbed off at least once I now realise. This allowed my dd to get good levels/behaviour marks followed by a totally demoralising negative report in one subject this year, 3 days before school broke up! I thought she was under performing but now I think the teacher was a spiteful young git. Many of the other teachers made similar comments about where she needs to improve-but they don't seem to communicate with each other or look at her as a whole and realise just telling her to i.e. Be less quiet hasn't worked in three years. Duh! Does anyone wonder WHY?

In an year which I have dealt with cancer and been onto the school heavily for pastoral support for her, it was a heavy blow. I've already complained and will be meeting with them again in Sept about how this treatment has damaged my relationship (trust) with her and my trust in the school.

But I do think they handover since it's all on the computer in front of each teacher in each class. Can't be that hard when you are just a number to them.

I would have expected better from a GS though.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ofsted site says that sir Henry flood was good in 2011, not outstanding. Due to conversion to academy i could not see earlier reports to see when if and when it moved from outstanding to good.

Maybe as g55 says there is more online, otherwise the communication sounds as poor as Silvery Sea's school.

It is disappointing particularly when the parent wants it to be different. We used to lament the parents that lacked interest but some schools seem to loathe ones that want more info or a two way dialogue. Shame.

There shouldn't really be such huge differences between schools in these respects. Some are fantastic. Worst one we have ever experienced was independent.

Don't you generally get a clearer picture of what is going on at secondary because you can look at the exercise books when you fancy? At our primary they are treated with more secrecy than war-time military communications.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Don't you generally get a clearer picture of what is going on at secondary because you can look at the exercise books when you fancy? At our primary they are treated with more secrecy than war-time military communications.
You wait until they get a few bad marks in a subject....that particular exercise book will be better hidden and there will be more excuses for its absence, that the painting of the fallen Madonna with the big boobies. :lol:

Thankfully we have fairly good report information here, plus I stick pins in son number one until he tells me how he is doing, plus I chauffeur him and his friends around to sport a lot, so eaves drop blatantly badly after tests etc. Actually I am really proud f how supportive they are of one another with regard to tests and homework.
In honesty, I can normally tell within a few minutes of him walking in the door if he has bombed something, or done really well....it's all in the posture! Son number two will be the same, son number three will be oblivious, so that will be the teller....I will be totally dependent on the school for info.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My dd carries on the tradition of secrecy with her books, keeping many at school, or they are being marked. When I do get hold of one there is often nothing new in it-a lot of work is in the VLE which I don't have access to see either.

In the car schoolwork is not mentioned!

I get to hear good news usually if she was pleased and remembers!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah, I was thinking of schools where children have no storage space and therefore a secret rifling of the drawers and book bag at home from time to time would reveal all.

Pity it does not work out that way in practice! Presumably teachers are assuming you can see their school work? Why can't you see the vle?

I am not sure how much I want the written splurge either though. It takes a long time for each subject teacher and is very subjective.

Nothing beats the chance to have a frank dialogue from time to time. At some secondaries you can email individual teachers. Can you do this?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now