Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chocolate25

Bramhall

Post by Chocolate25 »

Hi All,
I'm a newbie in this area, so please be kind :mrgreen:
We live in Bramhall which about 10 miles? from AGGS. Is there anyone on here whose child has been offered a place in the school? I'm just wondering if it's worth preparing for the exams given the fact that we are quite far away from the school.
Thanks all.
Last edited by Chocolate25 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chocolate25

Re: Bramhall

Post by Chocolate25 »

Just looked it up- we are actually 7.9 miles away from the school which is still quite far away :(
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sorry - not from your area, but welcome. Make sure you have spoken to the LEA about the distance as it is measured incredibly precisely from your house to a predetermined point at or near the school - it is an as the crow flies measurement but, believe me, it can make a real difference when you are talking about a place at the school (they practically go down to millimetres if distance is an admission criteria!)
Chocolate25

Post by Chocolate25 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Sorry - not from your area, but welcome. Make sure you have spoken to the LEA about the distance as it is measured incredibly precisely from your house to a predetermined point at or near the school - it is an as the crow flies measurement but, believe me, it can make a real difference when you are talking about a place at the school (they practically go down to millimetres if distance is an admission criteria!)
Many thanks, I didn't know they are so precise :idea:
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

I think the cut off point has been within six miles over the last few years, some years less than that by quite a bit. It is measured as the crow flies.
UrmstonDad

Post by UrmstonDad »

The only child I know of from that general area is a girl from Heald Green who gained a place on the basis of a sibling already attending AGGS. Heald Green in much closer than Bramhall though.

As you may know the 'order of priority' for admissions is as follows :
5.1 Children who are Looked After, regardless of their place of residence;

5.2 Applicants residing within the School’s catchment area who will have a sister who will be a pupil of the School at the time of the Applicant’s proposed admission;

5.3 Applicants residing within the School’s catchment area. Where the number of applicants qualifying for admission under this category exceeds the number of places available, then priority shall be given to those applicants residing closer to the School (see ‘distance’ in the definitions);

5.4 Applicants residing outside the School’s catchment area who will have a sister who will be a pupil of the School at the time of the Applicant’s proposed admission. Where the number of applicants qualifying for admission under this category exceeds the number of places available, then priority shall be given to those applicants residing closer to the School (see ‘distance’ in the definitions);

5.5 Applicants residing outside the School’s catchment area. Where the number of Applicants qualifying for admission under this category exceeds the number of places available, then priority shall be given to those applicants residing closer to the School (see ‘distance’ in the definitions);

5.6 In the unlikely event of a tie-breaker situation, the applicant will be chosen by random allocation. A representative of the Applicant will be invited to observe the procedure which would be supervised by a person independent of the School.
http://www.aggs.trafford.sch.uk/downloa ... y-2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(The catchment area is an eight mile radius centred on the school)

From what you have described you would be in 5.5 above.

Hope this helps?