List of schools to apply & CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
roselyn

List of schools to apply & CAF

Post by roselyn »

We live in HA5 (post code) but we are flexible to move wherever DD gets admission.
I have two questions
1. Regd the schools we can apply
2. Regd CAF

We would be applying for
-HBS (No catchment)
-Hertfordshire - South West Herts Consortium

Buckinghamshire is close to us as well…
Just wondering whether we can apply and write exam for Bucks grammar schools as well?
Is there any catchment criteria for Bucks grammar schools?

Think Bexley doesn't have any catchment criteria…
Any other school region which doest have catchment criteria to apply?

eg.,
If we write 3 exams - HBS, South West Herts & Bucks and get 3 scores - How does the CAF ( Common Application form ) work ?
Will we be submitting 2 CAFs - one for Herts and one for Bucks council ? Or is it one CAF need to be filled up with our choices…
For eg.,
1. HBS
2. Watford Grammar Girls
3. Dr Challoner's High School (this one is Bucks)
4. Parmiter's School
5. Chesham Grammar School (this one is Bucks)
6. St Clement Danes School

CAF should be submitted to which council ?
Many thanks in advance.
hermanmunster

Re: List of schools to apply & CAF

Post by hermanmunster »

One CAF only submitted to the LEA where you are living now.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks GS allocate places on distance so check you are near enough on historic data to use up a place on the CAF.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I would check individual schools' admission criteria. I am sure now for many schools the address you are at when you submit the CAF (by end October - and yes it's just one CAF) is the one that counts for admission. Things are changing every year so do be careful not to waste choices on your CAF on schools your child won't qualify for.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I think that the Bexley grammars are only 'super-selective' in that those ranked in the top 180 in the 11+ are guaranteed a place at a grammar school.

Colchester County High School for Girls is still fully super-selective - selection test Saturday 20th September, apply via the Consortium for Selective Schools in Essex website. The grammar schools of the King Edward Foundation in Birmingham also have no catchment. I think, but you would have to check when their exam is and whether registration is still open.

Do you just have the one DC to consider, or do you have to think about primary schools for younger ones? I assume that you have back-up non-selective schools where you are now, as entrance to those tends to be very much catchment / distance-based.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
decaff

Post by decaff »

With a HA5 postcode I think only Bucks school you are likely to gain admission to is Chesham Gram. Look at Bucks 11+ forum Sally Anne is a wealth of info. Be careful not to waste choices if you have no chance of admission.
roselyn

Post by roselyn »

Many thanks for the valuable information. :-)
I will have a look at those links you suggested.
roselyn

Post by roselyn »

ToadMum, I have a little one as well to consider the primary in case of moving.
Non-selective school -Do you mean non-grammar high schools which dont have any entrance test and admit students by catchment ?
If yes, the one we have isnt good. :-(

This triggers me another question - Do we need to put that non-grammar high school (nearby) in CAF ? If we dont get into any of the 6 preferred schools in CAF, wouldnt that nearby school be allotted by default ?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

decaff wrote:With a HA5 postcode I think only Bucks school you are likely to gain admission to is Chesham Gram. Look at Bucks 11+ forum Sally Anne is a wealth of info. Be careful not to waste choices if you have no chance of admission.
Thank you, decaff! :D

I agree that Chesham GS is the only Bucks GS you have a realistic chance of gaining a place at. There are lots of kids from Harrow there because the Met Line runs direct to Chesham. Be aware, though, that the school is becoming more popular every year, and recently received an Outstanding report from OFSTED. This year the school was oversubscribed on 1st March, for the first time in living memory. It did go to "All Offered" eventually.
roselyn wrote:This triggers me another question - Do we need to put that non-grammar high school (nearby) in CAF ? If we dont get into any of the 6 preferred schools in CAF, wouldnt that nearby school be allotted by default ?
You need to find out whether the school is regularly oversubscribed. If it is, you must put it on your CAF in 6th place.

You can only use the strategy of leaving the likely "default" school off the CAF if you are absolutely 100% certain that you will get in. Otherwise, everyone who has put the school on the CAF will be in the queue ahead of you, while you could be allocated a sink school miles away.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Yes you need to name every state school you are considering on the CAF, whether selective or non-selective. If you name six grammars on the CAF and don't qualify for any of them for whatever reason, your LEA (Local Education Authority) will allocate you a place at whichever non-selective state school (comprehensive or high school depending on what you have in your area) in your LEA has places available. It may not be the nearest one.

You could try ringing the Education department at your area's council offices for a more detailed explanation and information about which local schools your child might be likely to qualify for, and how to fill in the CAF. They are usually very helpful and well-informed - ours was anyway!

(Slightly cross-posted with Sally-Anne!)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now