FPTP comprehension book

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wildwest

FPTP comprehension book

Post by wildwest »

Has anyone tried this book guys? There are 2 books and looks like they are MCQ format?? Any reviews?
gameon

Re: FPTP comprehension book

Post by gameon »

We got the Book 1. My DS found them easy.. scoring above 90s. I am not too sure about book 2. (I don't think they are out??).

We also tried FPP English book, they seem good standard.
Sandala

Post by Sandala »

I also purchased this comprehension book recently. I think the book offers a good range of 'classics' narrative texts from authors such as Lewis Carroll, Frances Hodgson Burnett, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling. Although I was disappointed that no poetry was offered – as this really does offer a different type of challenge. Each text varies between 60-100 lines in length and there are 15 or so MC questions asking for recall and inferential type answers.

I bought this book because DD had finished the GCP book and wanted another set of comprehensions to keep her going over the summer. DD really likes the FPTP books and scores well on them but says she finds some of the questions challenging (in a good way) ... but then English is her thing. The FPTP maths book is a whole other story, so I think the books are of the appropriate standard. :) My only slight worry with the FPTP books is that we found a few errors in the FPTP Cloze books and now I feel duty-bound to double check that the answers are as they should be rather than just mark them. On the whole I'd give them 4 rather than 5 stars. However, the lack of poetry, a separate mc answer sheet (answers are marked next to the questions) and the occasional error means that I prefer the GCP books to FPTP.

Hope that's helpful.

Oh... and the 'contemporary' comprehensions book is out in a few days' time.
Sandala

Post by Sandala »

Whoops! That should have been CGP books not GCP books!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I bought the new contemporary comp book from son number three as he likes doing comps and I thought it would help him achieve his 100 goal in the bucks test.
First one went fine, decent mark, a few discussions etc.
Second one :shock: bless him, he finished in time, I heard the buzzer, he came and got me from the other room where I was sorting linen, tears were streaming down his face, I dropped the socks for a huge cuddle thinking something awful.had happened to a pet or sonething....'it's the story, its so sad' he cried. It really is too, he also got a pants mark, because he was over interpreting everything trying to make it a bit happier in his mind. I honestly doubt CEM will reduce halls of kids to tears....are these books tried out on children before publication.

Also found an ambiguous answer he won the argument for in the Alice in wonderland comp in the other book.

Will do number three in a few days, but so far I have plenty of other comp exercises that granted are not multi choice, but I like more.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Ow! Bless him.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

I liked them and DS too. Found them good for practice.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Book two only came out last week didn't it?

The story I refer to is about a six year old being told by her dad that her mum died giving birth to her baby brother, but trying not to cry in front of her and failing. It was really really sad, I would have been worried if he had not shed a tear tbh. A bit intense for a quick comp test.

He did a cpg comp today and got 24/25 in the allocated time, so a happy bunny again.
Sandala

Post by Sandala »

Your poor DS!

I do wonder how much thought was put into the choice of that particular piece of text – I think perhaps, very little; they are, after all, only 9 or 10. DD loves comprehension but I'm not sure she'd be able to complete that one through the tears either.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Will order the comprehension book then... Dd has done all the others that I have (mcq) and if I give the same paper again, she remembers it clearly even if she did them during Christmas break..., so, not much point in repeating them really!

But I have some bond ones that are not mcq. I'm torn between buying more mcq comps vs doing the Bond that we already have ( despite not being mcq) !!!!!!!