How difficult can it be.../Raw Vs Qualifying Score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

abc72

How difficult can it be.../Raw Vs Qualifying Score

Post by abc72 »

As much as I understand it is unpredictable, how much tricky, difficult and complicated an exam can become? Even if it is difficult, if all the few thousand children who take all find it equally tough, then there is a chance for the child to get the qualifying score - is this right?

My understanding is that there is no specific % of raw score that will give the qualifying score of 121; the raw score needed to get the standardised qualifying score of 121 will be determined only based on how the children will perform on September 11 in those two 45 minutes paper put together? Is my understanding right, or am I getting completley confused?

Thanks in Anticipation...
Tolstoy

Re: How difficult can it be.../Raw Vs Qualifying Score

Post by Tolstoy »

Yes you are correct. Standardisation ensures the top scorers get the required score regardless of the difficulty of the tests.

My DS1 sat a harder test with fewer people completing both papers than my DS2 the following year. It didn't really make any difference. I suppose some children will suit a harder paper if they are prone to carelessness whilst the slow and sure's will suit the easier papers. That may partially explain some of the surprises on results day but for the majority it won't make any difference.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

There are some raw and standardised scores from last years Latymer test on the Herts forum, with overall rankings. It's split into NVR, verbal and numerical reasoning scores.
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

2girls - I saw that Latymer thread - and tbh I was surprised at some of the low raw scores -> high standardised scores. Is the Latymer test especially hard? Elsewhere I'm being told that 95% ish maths is needed in my area (equivalent to, say - standardised score 130). It's very hard to get your bearings.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Well dd2 did quite badly in the Maths (but much better in the other 2), though she was level 6 this year in KS2 Maths, and 141 standardised (they don't give out raw scores) in the St Michael's test. Was it hard? She sat her test in the sports hall at Latymer, and when I was waiting for her to exit I saw several children exit in tears and one vomited:( We didn't spend a lot of of time working on the CEM type of test because it was our 2nd choice, and she had to sit VR, NVR, Maths and a full English test (with composition) the previous day for our 1st choice. Covering the Numerical and Verbal Reasoning and CEM NVR would have meant covering 7 subjects at super-selective level, which would have been challenging! The GL work pulled her through though, and she was 121/1866 at Latymer. It shows how critical knowing the exam set is though, and tailoring learning to it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now