Coding.....integral part or old hat?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kismet

Coding.....integral part or old hat?

Post by Kismet »

DS has just finished a mock test, done independently of his tuition. His tutor, who is highly experienced, is of the opinion (based on the familiarisation material) that coding won't be involved. Said mock, however, included coding. Am wondering if I should panic and do a mini crash course with him (I'd have to do a mini crash course with myself first tho) :( any views out there?

Ps, I love that there's this sense of camaraderie amongst 11+ parents. Feels less lonely when the suns shining outside 8)
chumba

Re: Coding.....integral part or old hat?

Post by chumba »

Thank you for asking, I've been wondering the same! DD hasn't done any with her tutor and has only done some of the really simple ones with me from the age appropriate bond verbal reasoning books before we knew it had changed to CEM. She'll only be doing one mock exam organised by her tutor in a few weeks. She'll be guessing the answers if there are any.......
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We had a letter from pates confirming Dd's place for the exam and the letter clearly states:
'The test consists of multiple choice style questions on verbal ability (comprehension, vocabulary and verbal reasoning), numerical reasoning and non-verbal reasoning.'

There have been several rumours going around the playground and the problem with tutors is that they do not see these letters and so do not always have the up to date information. I have heard there is no maths, but this is disproved by the letter and numerical reasoning, also some friends have been told other stuff which were all in the old style paper and not in the new.

Also when they announced the changes there was a familiarisation paper on the various grammar school websites and none of them include the old style VR questions, which includes coding. I seriously wouldn't be concerned about it.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thanks MedievalBabe, that's really reassuring. I've had the same letter from Pates but went off in a panic anyway. I'm not sure how useful the mock today was other than it gives him experience of working in a room full of strangers. As with anything I guess there'll be the post match analysis (ds is football obsessed and I surprise myself with my newfound vocabulary.......errrrr, as well as pugilism, confederate etc etc etc. can't help thinking that no matter what I do it's in the lap o the gods to a certain extent. Before his mock he didn't get to sleep till 11. I can see that repeating on sept 12th :roll: