Raw scores: a Q for those with DC who have sat the exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ess30

Raw scores: a Q for those with DC who have sat the exams

Post by Ess30 »

I have no idea what is 'good enough' on a practice paper.

Would anyone be willing to share their guesses for raw score/standardised score on the Herts papers? (or their DC practice scores/actual scores)

I know that there are lots of different publishers on practice papers - but my DD is consistent to within 5% on whichever paper I give her :? .
Hera

Re: Raw scores: a Q for those with DC who have sat the exams

Post by Hera »

Which schools in herts are you looking at?
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

SW Herts (pref. the grammar school - also looking at Queens & Ricky).
Hera

Post by Hera »

I would say for the grammars you need to be getting at least in the low to mid 90s and for Ricky the mid 80s. My DS was averaging midish 90s before the exams and got a high enough standardised score to get the grammar inner or outer all years listed. I think a lot depends on how they perform on the day. There was a big jump in scores for all schools last year so it will be interesting to see if that is sustained this year.
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

Ouch - mid-nineties doesn't leave a lot of wriggle room on a fifty mark paper!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What papers have you used with your dd?
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

For VR we've used:
- Athey
- Bright Sparks
- CGP back of work book tests
- FPTP

For Maths we've used
- CGP (papers and back of the workbook)
- GL NFER pack 1 (just finished - going to buy pack 2)
- FPTP

Bad buys were Athey maths (weird structure; too many questions for the time) and Bond (too easy). I also bought Walsh papers, but only looked at them as study fuel - since the multi-choice format grates.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to do the Walsh as they are considered to be some of the hardest. Just write on the paper and don't use the mc. I am working my way through the eight Walsh papers at the moment with a group of students having been forced to abandon Athey because they are all getting 98/100 every time. Moving to Walsh has bought the results down a bit. No 100 percents yesterday but still all in the 90's. We will also use Guyon and the Tutors. I am struggling for find Maths and VR hard enough for them. Even Habs Maths is barely containing them! I would not touch Bond with a bargepole, way to0 easy for the Norlh London and Watford selectives. Thank goodness for the challenges of Englsh! DG

Edit, we just did Walsh paper two and there was a whole section that you could not do without the mc answer sheet so have it there but only use it when you need to. You can do the whole of paper one without it.
Last edited by Daogroupie on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Have you tried the free 12+ papers like this? http://www.junior-kings.co.uk/client_fi ... 12plus.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

I did try a different 12+ paper - but I feared losing focus - since this forum seems to suggests that it is most important to do be accurate on the straightforward stuff - rather than to learn 'advanced' topics.

If anything - I'm thinking on going the other way - and giving easier papers (Bond?) , but pushing for full marks on them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now