Motivating child

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

starfish1

Motivating child

Post by starfish1 »

my son can do very well but he is so unmotivated that I haven't been able to persuade him to work fast as he is sooooo laid back. It's certainly not ability as he has scored well in the practices he has done but spending one and a half hours over it with a lot of faff going on.
Any suggestions please?!!!
Peridot

Re: Motivating child

Post by Peridot »

Hard cash always worked as a motivator for my son - £1 per completed paper. Though as I've said elsewhere he didn't do many so it wasn't too financially draining.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Have you visited the schools starfish? The motivation should come from wanting to go to one or more of the schools you have visited. Both my DC were keen on a particular school and that gave them a boost.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I suggest you also visit the schools that he would not want to go to. I had a student who would just tick any box in mc and not even bother to read the question. I suggested to his mother that she took him to look around the local struggling school and it worked wonders. Every day he works to get one step further away from that school. DG
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Absolutely agree about motivation coming from visiting the schools themselves. My son had always wanted to go to Tiffin for various reasons, but seeing the school on open evening made him really determined. The £1 bribe policy helped too as it's hard for a 10 year old to sustain that determination through every practice paper! He saw the tutor once a week and then did one or occasionally two papers a week as homework so I didn't have to fork out too much in addition to the cost of the tutor.

The other thing to say about visiting schools is (seeing that you have posted this in Independent Schools) to think about whether you are targeting private schools only, or both private and grammar. I know a boy who gained a place at both Hampton Boys' (private) and Tiffin (grammar) and initially he was much keener to go to Hampton as it looked so much smarter, has a brand new theatre, immaculate sports fields and pristine tennis courts etc. His parents had only considered private as a backup but really couldn't afford it. It's all fine now and he's very happy at Tiffin but there was some family stress at the time!
Good luck with the preparation anyway, whichever school or schools your son is aiming at.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Thanks, the £1 bribe may be something I have to resort to as DC gets exhausted towards end of Aug and Sept! Been resisting it. :)
starfish1

Post by starfish1 »

hmmm he appears immune to everything. He is currently in private school... maybe that's the problem! The local grammar is not as beautiful so he isn't enthralled by it...on the other hand it is free!!!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

was that £1 for completing a paper or for getting a good mark in it?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is likely that is the problem. Has he been told by the school that he already has a place in the secondary school? A lot of state students are working hard every day so they can go somewhere with more opportunities than the place they are already in. The school also will want him to stay so will be not be encouraging him to leave. DG