6 weeks to go!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

6 weeks to go!

Post by Manana »

How are we all doing?! I can't believe how soon it is.

We've done most of the past CSSE papers now, some VR and NVR (though not much really) and are trying to write creatively about a range of banal things!! DD's vocabulary is lacking though and she finds some of the comprehension questions hard. She can also write a decent piece of description about eg a favourite food (after some input),but then a few weeks later, when asked to do it again, will write random gibberish!

How is everyone else?! I gave her some code questions to do yesterday and she was v slow and found them tricky. DS was so quick with these at the end but I don't even know if it's a waste of time spending more time going through with her as there weren't in any in the familiarisation papers?!!
pinkrabbit38

Re: 6 weeks to go!

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Manana wrote:How are we all doing?! I can't believe how soon it is.

We've done most of the past CSSE papers now, some VR and NVR (though not much really) and are trying to write creatively about a range of banal things!! DD's vocabulary is lacking though and she finds some of the comprehension questions hard. She can also write a decent piece of description about eg a favourite food (after some input),but then a few weeks later, when asked to do it again, will write random gibberish!

How is everyone else?! I gave her some code questions to do yesterday and she was v slow and found them tricky. DS was so quick with these at the end but I don't even know if it's a waste of time spending more time going through with her as there weren't in any in the familiarisation papers?!!
Don't want to panic you but it's only 5 weeks until 11+ and 4 weeks until CCHS exam (not six weeks!!!)

In terms of vocabulary there is a list of good words to learn on one of the other forums (English I think). We are basically now just learning them, their meanings, synonyms and antonyms as it's the thing that my daughter is finding difficult. Thankfully her maths, verbal and non verbal, creative writing, Cloze and comprehension are spot on at the moment.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Ha-I can't even count!

Glad everything is spot on for your daughter :)
nssdesikan

Post by nssdesikan »

Good that your DS is spot on. Can I assume she scores 100% or more than 95% to say she is spot on?
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Hello,
How are you all practicing the creative or continuous writing bit? Am i correct in assuming that it is 25% of the whole english paper?
p
MacPac

Post by MacPac »

pg19 wrote:Hello,
How are you all practicing the creative or continuous writing bit? Am i correct in assuming that it is 25% of the whole english paper?
p
Oh goodness I stupidly didn't realise the continuous writing was worth so much. 15 marks sounds better than 25% :lol: I've told DS2 that he needs to treat the descriptive writing piece as an advert. If he can 'sell' me whatever he's written about he earns a £1! His writing has improved dramatically since we started this. We haven't really started on the other part of the continuous writing.

Not long to go now.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

nssdesikan wrote:Good that your DS is spot on. Can I assume she scores 100% or more than 95% to say she is spot on?
Nssdesikan, I find your question quite strange and wonder what you mean by it?

To be spot on means she's is doing and achieving what she needs to, as I've already said she is working on meanings, synonyms and antonyms of words.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

With only a few weeks to go - I am going mad and getting obsessive. So I need to step away from it. That's how I am feeling right now, and know that's best for DD too. :(
Manana

Post by Manana »

pg19 wrote:Hello,
p
Yuck-I hadn't really thought about it like that!

DD is getting better. She can describe a variety of animals/foods etc and write instructions to make toast/brush teeth etc but I'm wondering now, if the creative writing will be something else? A playscript? Persuasive writing? Advert? Conversation? Hmmmm!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now