Starting a New Career

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nvasu

Starting a New Career

Post by nvasu »

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest me some good ideas to start a new career. I am nearing 40 and recently started realising that i have lot of free time, as my kids are big now. I am interested in Admin jobs, but not very sure if i can get one as i haven't worked for a loongg 14 years.

I am looking into Software testing also. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Vasu
marigold

Re: Starting a New Career

Post by marigold »

Hi,

How are your secretarial skills? A colleague of my husband has an online secretary. She dictates all her letters ( she is a surgeon, this is for her private practice ) sends them to her secretary electronically who types them up and sends them off. A quick Google of online secretaries bought up lots of companies who provide this service. I have been quite tempted myself. Whilst not particularly exciting it might be a gentle way back into the work place giving you experience and a reference for when something bigger comes up.
I am an exam invigilator at a local school and all schools in my area are always looking for more of us. Again it is not a very demanding job and is very seasonal but a lot of my fellow invigilators have used it as a way of getting back into the work place, giving them experiencing of working after a long time at home and a reference.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

What about 11+ tutoring? It's relatively easy and once homework done to target the exams in theical vicinity quite rewarding. It takes pressure of the lical schos especially those that don't push kids into the better selective schools.

It's financially rewarding too.

I am looking to branch out FT into this area.
nvasu

Post by nvasu »

Thanks for the nice ideas. I will start searching for online jobs.

I am not keen in tutoring.

Thanks
nvasu

Post by nvasu »

For the exam invigilator, do we have to register somewhere or keep searching.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

These are usually advertised but approach local secondaries.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

If there's no necessity for you to earn anything at this stage, then volunteering is a great way of trying new things out. I volunteered at my children's playgroup as their treasurer and that led me to a paid job as a bursar which I wouldn't have the experience for before ...

JD
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would recommend thinking about the sort of thing you want to do, find out what qualifications you need. Maybe do a bit of volunteering to build up experience.
Amber

Post by Amber »

What about studying some more - maybe something which interests you but you haven't had chance to explore?
nvasu

Post by nvasu »

Thanks all for the ideas