Just over 3 weeks to go : )

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Just over 3 weeks to go : )

Post by um »

The forum has been rather quiet this year.

Just checking in to see how things are going as we get very close to the exam.

If previous parents want to give any tips for these last few weeks, please do.

My (humble) suggestions are:

- Ensure that your child keeps a reasonable bedtime and waking time. The exam is just as term starts and children will need to be there early. If they are used to getting up at 1pm they are likely to feel more tired.

- Ensure that your child spends time outside and takes part in daily exercise. Most children who have been preparing for the 11 Plus will feel a degree of stress about it, even though we try to ensure they don't. This will help.

- Ensure that your child is still reading regularly and enjoys a few good books over the next few weeks. This is often more useful than sitting completing worksheets!

Um
motion

Re: Just over 3 weeks to go : )

Post by motion »

Just to add to this
- Make sure DCs are eating healthy and their immune system is well oiled. With one eye on brainy foods
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Um, I'm owning up... In the last two days, my anxiety has been palpable. Dd seems balanced and calm!

( sorry to interrupt but just wanted to say thank you for the thread)
Last edited by wildwest on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dottymum

Post by Dottymum »

I am so in need of this thread!!!! My anxiety is rising by the day!!

As a newbie I can't really add much but I'll have a go: do little and often (I find 10 minute tests good for this!)

Erm struggling to think of anymore but will post if I think of anything.
Hopefuldad7

Post by Hopefuldad7 »

Here’s my two pence worth:

- Ensure you do not show signs of stress/anxiety in front of the child taking the test. Your nerves will rub off onto them!

- Do not try and cram in too much new learning in the last week. Let them relax!

- For the final push… try and immerse them in language, vocabulary and comprehension, try reading together if they are not happy independent readers.

- A reasonable amount of mock tests under realistic exam conditions – be gentle on the marking if you want to raise confidence. Go through mistakes.

- Reward them for their effort not just results.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Hopefuldad7 is spot on. I would add late on do loads of stuff they are good at as this instills confidence. I think confidence was what made the difference for us. No point at the last minute re-enforcing the areas they have struggled with for months as it is often too late to change this. Remember they don't need to be great at everything. One very good score can be enough to pull up an average score. Do the maths and it will look a lot better. If standardisation confuses you there is stuff about it on this forum. Good luck.
Doodlemum

Post by Doodlemum »

I am really nervous! We are still doing a little every day and whatever happens I know we tried our best. My daughter is as cool as a cucumber though!!! One question for the veteran posters - does anyone know if sitting the exam at Five Ways is it in the big hall or in classrooms?
Haleema

Post by Haleema »

I didn't get it which exams u r all taking about?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Haleema wrote:I didn't get it which exams u r all taking about?
R u from Birmingham / Walsall region or planning for your DC to take entrance test for schools in this region?
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I assume the topic is based on the state school selective examinations. These are for the numerous grammar schools in the region. The exams are the CEM based exams set by Durham uni. I think..