Robotic type courses???

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
catwoman

Robotic type courses???

Post by catwoman »

Hi All
My Ds has been interested in Robots (anything that moves electronically really) for some time now, he takes apart all of his electronic toys (which have all cost a fortune :? ) and tries to figure out how it works :!: Does anyone know of any short courses for 10 year olds in this robotic area in the west midlands or any workshops...i would really like him to progress his hobby but in a more productive way :)
Tinkers

Re: Robotic type courses???

Post by Tinkers »

Don't know about midlands, but there's a residential type thing called tech camps
http://www.techcamp.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. That was mentioned on this very forum some time ago. Thought my DD might be interested, but she preferred the idea of pony camp more.
KB

Post by KB »

Could also try local 6th forms/ colleges to see if they do any outreach work?
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

As an aside look up vex robotics, there are quite a few competitions and clubs around, although depending on age maybe the lego nxt may be more appropriate...
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thank you all for your replies. I had a look at the website Tinkers £400 a day :shock: sorry simply is way above my budget, plus there all set in London. I'll have a look at vexrobotics SteveDH and see what comes up...thanks. KB i've tried the colleges, 6th forms but they don't do any kind of outreach at all :( thanks.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

That's actually the weekly rate for day kids, and is in Winchester. Though they do have ones in London.

Is there a school group or scouts or something g that could do first lego league? I think it's too late to register for this year, but something to bear in mind for next.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now