CSSE English - New format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Twinkle-Belle

CSSE English - New format

Post by Twinkle-Belle »

Can anyone kindly advice on the new format please? I know that there are three sections, but I recently got told by someone that they will not be allowed to go to the next section or flick from one section to the other if they finish any of the sections earlier than the time given.
moved

Re: CSSE English - New format

Post by moved »

This link has sample papers

http://www.csse.org.uk/index.php?option ... &order=ASC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Twinkle-Belle

Post by Twinkle-Belle »

Thanks for your response, I have already seen the sample papers previously.

What I need to know is:

1. If they will be able to move on to a different section if they finish a section earlier than the required time.
2. Can they go back to another section, for instance, if they have finished the creative writing section, can they go back to comprehension?

I was told specifically by someone that it may not be allowed, although nothing on the instruction says this.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Twinkle-Belle wrote:Thanks for your response, I have already seen the sample papers previously.

What I need to know is:

1. If they will be able to move on to a different section if they finish a section earlier than the required time.
2. Can they go back to another section, for instance, if they have finished the creative writing section, can they go back to comprehension?

I was told specifically by someone that it may not be allowed, although nothing on the instruction says this.
I thought the times were just for guidance. I imagined they would have 60 minutes to do the English and can spend it how they decide, then the papers will be collected and the maths given out (or vice versa).
Twinkle-Belle

Post by Twinkle-Belle »

That's what I thought too, and that's what I have interpreted it to be. I sure hope it will be like so! Shouldn't be so rigid, got a bit worried because a tutor told me.

Thanks.
Mrs Sinatra

Post by Mrs Sinatra »

Obviously I could be wrong but I am guessing the instructions on the front of the familiarisation paper will be as it is in the test. Namely:

Timings are suggested (and the timings suggested are 10 minutes reading time, then, 60 minutes to complete the test divided up to be 30mins comprehension, 10 minutes applied reasoning and 20 mins continuous writing).

As these are suggested timings I'm taking it to mean that candidates can split the time up differently.

I think they have ten minutes reading time before they start the actual test and then they have 60 minutes to apportion as they wish.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now