Disastrous AS results and how to move forward

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bucksmum

Disastrous AS results and how to move forward

Post by bucksmum »

DS's AS results have been quite disastrous (EEUU) and we are not sure how to move forward. He works very hard but doesn't perform well in exams. We are in Bucks and he wants to repeat the year. However the current school has indicated that they do not allow to repeat the whole year and as he hasn't met the criteria for A2 he cannot continue. Also they have mentioned that they will not be able to allow him to remain in 6th Form for 3 years as they get funding only for 2 years. DS is an August born and has just turned 17. Can we approach another school for him to repeat year 12? Not sure whether anyone has ever been in this situation - any advice? Do we have to enroll him with a private college if he wants to repeat the year - If so any recommendations please. At a loss and can't think of our next step. Please help.
BUCKSMUM
Guest55

Re: Disastrous AS results and how to move forward

Post by Guest55 »

I am so sorry to hear that - hugs all round.

Yes he could apply elsewhere but places may be tight - PM me where you are (roughly) and I'll have a think.

I have known others do similar ...
bucksmum

Post by bucksmum »

Thank you Guest55. I have sent you a PM.
BUCKSMUM
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Aww, I really feel for your son and you. I hope Guest55 can help you find a resolution with this. Good luck, and if you feel you can, please let us know how it works out ((((((hugs))))))
KB

Post by KB »

Its really not that unusual to restart A levels so do try not to worry.
Hopefully you have some advice about suitable 6th form places but I would get on the phone straight away to find out where has spaces.

A more radical approach is to decide if A levels are the best thing. If he has worked hard this year and it's the exams that are the problem then what is going to change next time around? And what are plans after A level?

Maybe look at different options - would a vocational route be more appropriate?

With the focus so much on University these days a lot of students get channelled into A levels when academic study is really not their forte. To struggle with A levels is much worse than succeeding with a different type of course.

Just general thoughts without knowing individual situation of course and you may well have already considered all this.

Very much hope you get him into the right place and he can start again in a positive way.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

My daughter also did poorly in AS exams 2 years ago and almost did not get back into Year 13 and also then did not well in A2s. This was purely down to her ability to perform in exams. She knew her stuff (got a A in the EPIP for PE A2 - 15 min evaluation of a video using all knowledge but then a U in written exam using same knowledge).

She did get into Uni (just and all we can think of was that her interview must have gone amazingly to still get a place with her grades) and then got diagnosed with dyslexia. She is doing fine at Uni and achieved a 2.1 at end of year 1.

If I had my time again, I would have got her to go a different route - BTECs or something like that with no exams as she is brilliant at coursework as she works so hard.

One of her best friends did retake the whole of Year 12 so it is possible at some schools.

She had a career goal and knew it might take her a little linger to get there than most but that it would be worth it in the end. So I would say, don't give up - a little detour can be worth it
bucksmum

Post by bucksmum »

Thank you for all your replies and words of encouragement. Will look at all the options available for him - He is determined to do AS level and thinks he could perform better. Will keep you posted.
BUCKSMUM
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Do you have any 6th form colleges locally, they may be more flexible?

Or look at evening classes for A levels too. I took a single A level in a year when on maternity leave; class for a couple of hours a week (although it was English so just lots of reading, nothing practical required).

Sometimes the route can change, but the destination remain the same!

Good luck to your boy.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I do know of kids who redid year 12 and hence did 3 years in the sixth form at GS but the story I am getting from DD (just going into year 13 ) is that this is no longer an option for people who were in her year - not sure if this is correct ? Perhaps things have changed?
I know of others who moved to 6th form college after a year at GS, started different A levels and did fine.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I will pm you as soon as I get a chance, bucksmum.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now