Travelling to school by train

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chrystelle

Travelling to school by train

Post by Chrystelle »

My 11 year old daughter has a place at Weald of Kent grammar school. I will drive her to the station and she will go to school by train: Edenbridge to Tonbridge. Do I get her a monthly rail pass £61.45 a month? Or is there a cheaper rail ticket I could get? Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Travelling to school by train

Post by Daogroupie »

We are not in Kent but we get a half term pass. We have to specify the last day before half term and then a ticket from the first day to the last day is issued. We are required to have a young person railcard for this. We find this is the cheapest way to do it. DG
Chrystelle

Post by Chrystelle »

Thank you for your reply. :D
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Sorry for the late response but we've been away for a few days. DD returned to Tonbridge Grammar today. I understand WoK go back later.

All of her train companions including us buy a child season ticket. They come in monthly, 6 monthly, etc, but we always buy annual. Big initial outlay but can be planned thereafter. You need a photocard which you can obtain at the station by producing birth certificate or similar. Annual works out cheaper overall; means you don't have to keep renewing and she can use it in the hols.

Hope that helps.
J50

Post by J50 »

We get one for specific dates each half term, and it costs about £190 per year. The annual season ticket for the same journey would cost £230. So worth checking out the costs for the specific half term dates as it could be cheaper than an annual ticket and you're not paying it upfront. NB, this is on SW Trains.
Chrystelle

Post by Chrystelle »

Thanks for your help. :) she had her first day today and absolutely loved it. :) in the end we decided to buy her a ticket till half term with the child's travel card. The very helpful station master explained that most parents go for half termly tickets.
Thank you for your help. :D
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Child's travel card?

The chaos at Sevenoaks basically know what ticket. They just ask what school and know the dates :) always do half terms as annual season is snout month free this way we font pay for 11 weeks.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

Does anybody know if these half termly tickets are available on southeastern trains?
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

frangipani wrote:Does anybody know if these half termly tickets are available on southeastern trains?
Yep - you can basically buy a ticket for whatever period you like. So this half term ends 23 Oct so you just ask for a ticket to expire on that day.

The guys at Sevenoaks are pretty good and know which schools end when normally. But you cannot buy it more than a day in advance
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

Ok great, thanks :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now