Only few days to go & any last minute materials to cover?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
littledippy

Only few days to go & any last minute materials to cover?

Post by littledippy »

Just wonder what materials are best use in these last few days?
Done CGP, FPP & NFER etc?

I haven't done Bond test packs. Should I give them to my DS?
jabba7

Re: Only few days to go & any last minute materials to cover

Post by jabba7 »

Hi

I wouldn't do the Bond CEM tests as they are not multiple choice and really hard and could knock confidence.

Interested to hear any advice as well re what is the best use of the time, I guess its important for them to score well on any work now as confidence is key.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

My ds did the Bucks test last year. I would not do anything new now - we just did tables (70 questions in 3,mins sort of things) and a little bit of maths (working through word problems together) and some NVR just for fun really. We did no timed stuff (other then the tables). We stopped prep altogether when school went back. We did read though but that we do anyway and wasn't anything special for the 11+. Oh and I told him not to flap if he didn't finish sections. The week of the test he played outside with his friends and the night before made cakes with friends to take to school.

I'm sure others may have different suggestions but this worked for us, taking off all pressure and expectation.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

I don't have any advice as such, just to articulate what we are trying to do.
We have done FPTP and a good deal of CGP material. Still seems quite a lot to do...

DD is fine with NVR so we're not doing any more of that (unless the odd paper if she feels like it, as this is the only question type she actually likes / doesn't mind having a go at).

Maths is DD's strongest subject at school but up and down on some of the CGP test paper Qs so I am going back and writing out slight permutations of questions she stumbled on for her to redo.

VR I thought was good until encountering some of the vocab on the CGP test papers! So this is the area we are going to concentrate most on for the last 2 weeks. I have got her to go through the papers and highlight every single word she doesn't know. We seem to have piles of cards with words on one side and the meaning on the other. Lots to learn and recap still!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

VR I thought was good until encountering some of the vocab on the CGP test papers! So this is the area we are going to concentrate most on for the last 2 weeks. I have got her to go through the papers and highlight every single word she doesn't know. We seem to have piles of cards with words on one side and the meaning on the other.
:lol: :? I think she needs to share them with me and half the other epe forumites, there are some terribly tricky words there!
Last year it was the nuances between words that caught children off guard, sorry to those I have read my comments on this before.

Which is the most like the original word:

Tranquil.....quietly, silent, rowdy,calm

May be not quite that mean, but you get my drift.

I think now is the time for play offs on prime numbers, square numbers, fraction/percentage/decimal matches, whizz bang, and those pesky synonyms/synonyms.
Ds 1,2,3 always win here on prime numbers....They cannot catch me on whizz bang though. Just light hearted games.

Maybe do not ask ds for a synonym for "content" when you are dragging him round tesco though, you may just get an antonym in reply, :oops: that ill thought out bit of pushiness cost me a very expensive "ripe and ready" mango!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

SB3 what's Whizz Bang?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Counting up round the table but instead of saying a number divisible by three, you say whizz, for five you say bang....of course you can use other divisibles. It's an old fashioned dinner party game, if you are so inclined. It is hard!

1,2,whizz,4,bang,whizz,7,8,whizz,bang.11,whizz,13,14,whiz-bang...See!
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

SB3! Dinner party! I thought it was a rugby drinking game or is that just me ..... :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

..not just rugby players :lol:
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

I am up early with blocked sinuses so checking back. Feel bad for passing on my cold to DD who seems to have come down with it yesterday evening :(
So I think we won't be doing all that word revision etc after all as, if the cold was anything like mine, she will have a fuzzy head for quite a few days! I am only just starting to feel better after 6 days!

I have also been thinking about what SB3 said regarding nuances of words. The poor things will need to be very familiar with the words to master this on top of complex vocab. Doesn't seem much point going through new words now!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now