Today's 11+ results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Frances

Today's 11+ results

Post by Frances »

I am pleased to bits that my son has passed both papers! Yet I am struggling with t=not only his results but with everyone I know. All the results seem soooooo low. Am I on my own here???
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Frances

Congratulations and well done to your son!

I wish I could draw you a graph of the usual pattern of 11+ results! However, there is a huge peak of children who get 141, and then the marks tail off very sharply in the 130s. They rise again to a slight "bulge" around the 121 pass mark.

The score your son achieved is completely irrelevant. He has qualified for a GS place. There are children who score 141 in the 11+ and struggle at GS, and others who score 121 (or get in on Appeal) who never look back.

Celebrate and forget about the marks! :D

Sally-Anne
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

Frances,

my son didn't qualify last year but won his appeal. He is positively thriving at Grammar, excellent marks so far and loving every minute. The grammars all take very little notice of actual 11+ scores as they know the tutoring 'playing field' is far from level.
AnniesDad

Post by AnniesDad »

the final test scores have been standardised. Part of this process involves an average of a sample of raw scores for the child's age group (month). If the average for the age group is high a child with a raw score of 70 will have a much lower final score, conversely if the average is low, the final score will be higher. It is therefore wrong and unfair to compare final scores as a comparison is not based raw scores. It's entirely possible that a child qualifying with 122 may have a better raw score than one with a test score of 130, as there could be ~8 points difference in that groups' average. I'm not an expert on this but I'm sure it goes some way to explaining the variation in final scores. Comparisons of final scores therefore only really have a relevance for children of the same age grouping.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now