Y7 School bag to buy, and other sundries.....help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Optimist

Y7 School bag to buy, and other sundries.....help!

Post by Optimist »

DS starts Y7 at BV next week. I have bought everything except the gum shield and school bag(s).

In relation to the school bags, what have other parents bought. Does DS need a school books bag and a sports bag for PE kit.

Bearing in mind he will take two trains each morning and then again in the afternoon, I am looking at practicality issues.

For a school bag, does he need a biggish sports bag, or one of those back type bags that i have my works laptop in. Or does he need a bigger bag.

Do we need a separate bag for sports kit.

All advice is greatly appreciated.
doodles

Re: Y7 School bag to buy, and other sundries.....help!

Post by doodles »

I would definitely recommend two bags, one for books and one for sport. You definitely don't want smelly sweaty kit and trainers in with books :lol:

A rucksack is the preferred bag for both my DS, they just find it easier to carry and it leaves their hands free for getting bus passes out etc. The size of sports/ kit bag will depend on what they have to take in. On rugby and games days they have a decent sized kit bag but on PE days when it's just singlet, shorts and trainers they take one of those lightweight swimming style drawstring bags -a freebie years ago.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

thanks doodles

Edited.

Shock horror!!! Did not realise BV Y7s go back on Tuesday. I thought it was Thursday.
busybees

Post by busybees »

I bought school bag from tesco which is on offer with 5 coupons and £12.99 its very strong bag. DS been using from 2 years and will be using for third year. If you dont have coupon pm me i have spare:). For PE bought adidas from argos its great for all. Hope this helps.
diseyp

Post by diseyp »

I agree with previous posts - a rucksack for books - a kit bag from Argos or Sports Soccer (Adidas wear well) and a drawstring bag for light PE kit or swimming - small son likes a across body type bag but they just aren't as easy to manage as a rucksack - Vans ones are a bit dear but really good quality and, apparently, sufficiently "cred" :/
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Thank you busybees for your help. DS is disinterested in choice of bag. I have given him a spare laptop bag. the many compartments are quite practical.

Btw, I guess it is ok to give Y7s a mobile phone to take to school.
bvmum

Post by bvmum »

Hi,

I have a son starting year 7 at BV too. I have separate bags for books and PE. Unfortunately I am having problems getting hold of the sports kit from Squirrels Sports! Just out of curiosity which area will your child be commuting from. My husband will be taking my son in for the first couple of weeks but eventually my son will also have a two train commute. It does seem like a lot of bags for 11 year olds to be carrying but I guess its been done in the past. :)

Thanks
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Do they have lockers for books/sports kit? DD has two lockers, one for books amd one for kit, so she doesn't take everything in, a lot is left in school.

Some good suggestions re bags. When DD started Year 7 last year, she spent the first few days using a bag we had lying around at home (she wasn't overloaded with books). Once she'd seen what everyone else in the older years was using, she was happier to choose a permanent bag. I was happy doing it this way too as I didn't want to buy a bag without knowing if it was "cool" enough :roll: .
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

just a quick question to those who have DC in Prep School, Year 5.

My DS is in Y5 Prep School and I was wondering how Other DC in Y5 at Prep School are managing school homework commitments as well as their 11+ Commitments. I can see a point where my DC will feel overwhelmed with homework. How are others in similar situations coping?
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I got a super dry bag, lasted over a year. Now looking at a targus bag.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now