Watches, clocks, stopwatches?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sarajtb

Watches, clocks, stopwatches?

Post by sarajtb »

Hi there, does anyone know if any personal timing devices are allowed in the exam?
Kismet

Re: Watches, clocks, stopwatches?

Post by Kismet »

I've told DS to take his analogue watch off and put it on the desk. I'm hoping that's allowed. I can't see why not.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would strongly advise that your student wears a watch into the exam. They may not be able to see the clock from where they are sitting and their invigilator might not give the time indications that they are supposed to. DG
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I bought my child a large stopwatch; he divided the questions set by the time allowed and a 1 minute buffer to check back his answers or do ones he had left out.
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

Mine wore a watch on the day. We used a kitchen timer at home but also practised using their watches in front of them - as they did in the test I believe.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Daogroupie wrote:I would strongly advise that your student wears a watch into the exam. They may not be able to see the clock from where they are sitting and their invigilator might not give the time indications that they are supposed to. DG

I understood that with the new exam the instructions and timings were given by a CD rather than the invigilator. We are probably going to be watch-free. If the sections are short (say less than 10 mins) I think that a watch may be an added distraction for my boy. At home these last few weeks we've been doing short sections with a reminder when time is half way through and with 1 minute to go. He's built up his speed now and works as fast as he can. Now it's all about remaining calm, for us a watch would be an added stress.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I was thinking the same thing RV. Being in such short sections will be distraction enough for him as it is.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

That's a fair point. I may have to rethink.....
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

CEM timings are all on the CD - the clock on the wall is purely there so the candidates can see that, for example, if it is 11 o'clock and the CD says 20 minutes, at 11.20 that bit of the test will be finished. If the CD starts when their watch says 11.03, they may spend valuable time working out how long they have got! However, saying that, both my boys wore a watch when they sat the test, because that was "normal practice" for them. Incidentally, it would be a poor set up by invigilators if there was anyone in the room who couldn't see the clock. (The clock in the room would also, I imagine, preclude anyone then saying at appeal that their child hadn't finished the paper because their individual watch stopped, so I suspect it will be visible - and should be to all candidates!)
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

RedVelvet wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:I would strongly advise that your student wears a watch into the exam. They may not be able to see the clock from where they are sitting and their invigilator might not give the time indications that they are supposed to. DG

I understood that with the new exam the instructions and timings were given by a CD rather than the invigilator. We are probably going to be watch-free. If the sections are short (say less than 10 mins) I think that a watch may be an added distraction for my boy. At home these last few weeks we've been doing short sections with a reminder when time is half way through and with 1 minute to go. He's built up his speed now and works as fast as he can. Now it's all about remaining calm, for us a watch would be an added stress.
I agree, the new test is good at keeping them on track time wise. A watch could be a distraction.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera