Last minute questions about exam day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Vicster

Last minute questions about exam day

Post by Vicster »

Now we have less than 2 weeks ago I have started wondering about the little (and possibly quite silly) things.
I'm hoping people who have had children sit exams previously can help me.
The form says to bring two pencils and an eraser. Are the children allowed to take a pencil sharpener in case of pencil breakages?
Do children have to wear their full uniform if it is a warm day or can they ditch the jumper and just wear their shirt and tie?
Oshosh

Re: Last minute questions about exam day

Post by Oshosh »

Hello Vicster,

My DS brought in a ruler, two pencils, eraser, pencil sharperner and a small blue coloured pencil and a clear pencil case. The case was checked before the exam.

Be early on that day, and park away from school and walk to entrance.

All children were in uniform, and i did see some were not wearing their jumper.

Hope this helps.
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

Thanks Oshosh.
I just told my DS that he can take a pencil sharpener and a clear pencil case to hold everything and he was very relieved. Apparently his biggest concern was that both pencils would break or wear down and he would have nothing to write with. He hadn't previously told me that he had this concern so I am glad I asked and that you answered so quickly :D
Fortunately he already has a clear pencil case so I don't need to go and hunt around the shops for one.
dajuni27

Post by dajuni27 »

my DS spare pencils, sharpeners, rubber, ruler in clear case and it was fine.
I agree with previous comment, get there in good time so you aren't panicking looking for somewhere to park...thats the last thing you need on the day!
My daughter wore uniform including cardigan but i am sure there would be no issue with children taking jumper off when they go in if it is a warm day.
Good luck!
me boo

Post by me boo »

I also sent mine in with a bottle of water & a snack.

Would also recommend, if you can get 2 adults, to be dropped off with your child & meet up with the driver later. Then you have no stress over parking
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

We have planned that my husband will drive and drop me and DS off somewhere within a few minutes walk from the school and then I will arrange to meet him somewhere further away when DS has gone in. I don't think it is worth the stress of trying to find somewhere close to school to park and I don't mind walking.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

We parked in Sainsbury's and then went and did the shopping once we had dropped DS off.

I can't stress enough how ridiculous the parking will be and so many people appear to not give it a thought and are driving round and parking like absolute idiots, it must be incredibly stressful for the children concerned.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Vicster wrote: Fortunately he already has a clear pencil case so I don't need to go and hunt around the shops for one.
Any parents that haven't got a clear pencil case...don't panic - a sandwich bag is perfectly acceptable!
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Clear pencil case or a sandwich bag.

Pencil (as many as the child wants to take) and an eraser. Most kids take 3-5 sharpened pencils as it is waste of time to sharpen. Try to give the child a new eraser as answer sheet has small boxes so you don't want DC to erase other answers when correcting.

Bottle of water and a small snack or a cereal bar for the break.

Working out or scrap paper usually given by examiner.

Dress code, school uniform preferred though I am sure they will not turn a child away if comes in home clothes.