Just over a week, checklist for the day !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sunshine 11

Just over a week, checklist for the day !

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I am so nervous about being late or forgetting something, SHS centre so is it just:

Water
2 pencils
Rubber
ID form with photo ?

What to take for a snack ? that won't go all gooey and melt, not make them feel sick but is high energy ?? hmm

So we have to be there between 8.15 - 8.40 ?

Anything else everyone is taking, considering ?
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
gameon

Re: Just over a week, checklist for the day !

Post by gameon »

This advice is given by DS school.
No water bottles during the exam time. Kids tend to fiddle with it, drink unnecessary. May be tell him/her to only access the water bottle during the break.

Good snack is advisable. I am planning to give Marshmallows Square bar!!!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Darn, that's Red Bull out of the window then!

More organised than me sunshine - I haven't even thought about it yet. Will try to get inspiration on next supermarket visit.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DS quite likes chocolate hob nob bars. He seems to be going off his food recently and eating very little so am a bit concerned that he won't manage any breakfast that day :(
Debims

Post by Debims »

Don't forget a watch if you've been practicing using one. I'm packing tissues too just in case a sneeze comes along - I'm hoping they won't be needed for tears!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Son number three always gets a runny nose if he does tests at home, I sometimes think it is the suppressed tears finding another avenue out. He refuses to wipe or blow though, all you can hear is sniff sniff sniff. :roll:
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Tissues. Good plan ! I have added them to my little pack. One of the mums at school realised she hadn't registered her child. How devastating for the child. I wonder how many others will realise this week ? :-/
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Water, snack, tissues, pencils, rubber in a clear bag along with instructions etc.

Money for car parks or buses etc. Make sure you know where you are going where you are going to park and how long it will take you.
When DD took hers, I was amazed how many parents tried to drive into the school when they expressly say 'no parking at the school, use the local car parks'. Also how many where driving around looking at the on street parking and not knowing whether they had to pay and how long they could park there for. At a time when they should have already been at the school.

So please double check your letters for any such instructions. The better prepared you are, the less stressed you will be and the less stressed they will be too.

As for not registering. I was talking to a parent last Sunday. She was asking what the local schools were like as they were moving into the area. Also asked me were DD was. So I told her and she said they were thinking about GS for their DD.

Then she said she was about to start year 6...

Too late.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Thanks Tinkers very useful, being late would be truely awful.

Another mum has not registered, thought her husband had done it. 2 in 1 day. I wonder if any will actually turn up on the day only to be turned away ! Poor kids :-(
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Whilst it is very tough on the children, it's almost worse for us parents! Last year HSFG were brilliant at getting the girls in and settled and had older girls there to act as buddies for the morning. They couldn't have done more to put them at ease and it was all done very well. Parking for the drop off was easier than parking for picking up, people seemed to stagger their arrivals but the pick up is obviously a set time, so just be aware of that!

It did feel worse after the test because you want to know every detail and then starting reading into every single comment they make!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now