Advice for slow reader

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mattsurf

Advice for slow reader

Post by mattsurf »

My DD is taking the 11+ in 3 weeks - preparation is going well for Maths and VR, however, she is a very slow reader. The comprehension is multiple choice, and typically is pretty long. Working on the GL assessment pack 2, she takes about 15+ minutes to read the text, which is far too long. If the text is interesting, she is quicker and has very good recall, however, if she doesn't get into the text then she is very slow and really stuggles to understand it

It is a bit of surprise as she is at Level 5 in school for comprehension.

I am thinking that the best strategy is to do the other questions first before tackling the comprehension, if she doesn't do this I am worried that she will miss easy marks as she will have wasted too much time on the comprehension. I am thinking that the best way to do the comprehension is to read the first question, then read the text until she can answer it, at least in this way if she doesn't get to the end then she won't have missed too many questions

Anyone with similar experience?
salsa

Re: Advice for slow reader

Post by salsa »

I think this may happen to a lot of us. If the text is not interesting, we struggle to get through. However, some tutors advice not to even read the text, but to go straight to the questions. Others suggest to read all the questions first, get intrigued and then read. What's her vocabulary like? New words can put you off reading. Let me know if this helps.
mystery

Re: Advice for slow reader

Post by mystery »

In those gl English familiarisation papers there is quite a bit of time to read the comprehension as the questions don't take that much time. Is 15 minutes reading a problem? That leaves 35 minutes for 50 questions which does not seem impossible.

In your exam will the comprehension be as long as in those papers? Do you have 50 minutes of English set by gl?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now