Sixth (6th) Forms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brumdad

Sixth (6th) Forms

Post by Brumdad »

Hello All,

Has anyone got any views on the respective sixth forms of grammar schools in Birmingham. DD is currently at a 11-16 comp and we are considering:-

-KE Camp Hill
-KE Handsworhh
-Sutton Girls

Are there any comprehensives people would recommend as well?
HappyRobot

Re: Sixth (6th) Forms

Post by HappyRobot »

Can she get to Solihull sixth form college?
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

I would take transport into consideration when deciding and would recommend seeing all the schools if they have open days to get a 'feel' of the schools. If your DD has a chance of getting into a Grammar Sixth Form I would take it.

My DD has several friends who have chosen to go to Grammar Sixth Forms rather than staying on at what are considered excellent Secondary Schools in Solihull (such as Tudor Grange) or going to the Sixth Form College. They believe it will give them far better opportunities when it comes to getting into university.

I think all the schools you are considering are excellent, good luck with your choice.
solimum

Post by solimum »

It's a difficult decision to make: we had one son who did transfer to CHB from Arden for sixth form (it was at the stage when the Arden 6th form was only just starting so his other option would have been Solihull school , with a scholarship, as he was not keen on SSFC). He thrived there, though he tells me it was touch & go for a week or two adjusting to the very different atmosphere. He particularly enjoyed the music, as he was doing music A level in a small mixed group, and also joined many ensembles and the BSSO and made several good new friends. it certainly helped him hugely in his Oxford application

Others we know, equally bright, have lasted only a few weeks at grammar 6th forms before transferring back to their previous school (which has usually been happy to reintegrate them). Others have transferred, succeeded academically but never quite felt part of the new school (I've heard this particularly with girls going to CHG and to Shottery).

Our daughter was adamant, despite having an offered place at CHG, that she wanted to stay at Arden: despite OH's dire warnings she got her AAA and place at Manchester. Her argument was mainly to do with the travel time and with her much preferring a mixed-gender environment and not having to start from scratch with a completely new set of friends & teachers etc: - also a very relevant point when it comes to writing UCAS references etc where a new school won't have a head of year who perhaps has known a pupil for several years (though this could also be an advantage of a move if a clean slate is needed for whatever reason). If KEFW had not been so ridiculously far away it would have been an attractive option, but Kings Heath is quite far enough from us when Arden is within walking distance!

Sometimes a move is the only way to achieve a particular combination of A level options: for some the detailed choices are far less important than the environment where they feel secure and able to work. Each child's circumstances are different
Brumdad

Post by Brumdad »

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, we can get to Solihull 6th form and I have found out it is the best 6th form college in the area.

We are going to keep an open mind and visit various different types of institution as I have heard about many kids dropping or not enjoying it in the grammars. A wild card option is the new Birmingham University School Sixth form which opens next year as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now