Failed by 2 marks and going for appeal!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suesole

Failed by 2 marks and going for appeal!

Post by Suesole »

Hi

My son got scores of 116 and 119 for the Bucks 11+. We are going for appeal as we want him to go to Burnham Grammar school in Bucks. His school Cippenham Junior's are holding an open evening on Tuesday for all parents wishing to appeal. I assume we will get the relevant Bucks appeal packs here and a letter from the head teacher. Is there anything else we need. I have old Yr 2 Sats results (All level 3). One thing - sons form teacher advised the results of his Year 5 tests were muddled, as he got a 4B (he was a 4A at end of year4 so went backwards) but she advised when they were retested at begining of year 6 he was high level 5! so should I get a letter from his form teacher too?
Just one more question....

Do we need to go to an appeal meeting or is this done by post ?

Thanks sorry for the long post but this is very confusing !!! :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What does it say in your letter about the appeal forms? I would get them direct or check you will get them on Tuesday as the time limit is short.

You don't NEED to attend an appeal but I would suggest that you do. You can read your evidence - 3 level 3s are good evidence and it's the predictions that are important. Have you got any other evidence e.g. G&T register, other VR/CATs scores etc.

Do read Etienne'd advice in the 'sticky' - she has sat on Bucks appeals panels and knows her stuff!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sue

Have sent you a PM.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Re: Failed by 2 marks and going for appeal!

Post by Etienne »

Suesole wrote: His school .... are holding an open evening on Tuesday for all parents wishing to appeal. I assume we will get the relevant Bucks appeal packs here
Have just posted something about this in the Bucks section.
Guest55 wrote:You don't NEED to attend an appeal but I would suggest that you do.
Agree absolutely with Guest55. Panels can hear the appeal solely on the basis of the written evidence before them, but they are deprived of the opportunity to ask questions. This could seriously weaken the appellant's chances of success.
Etienne
ex appeal mum

Post by ex appeal mum »

I would also strongly advise attending appeal - we were unable to do so due to family bereavement and lost the appeal. Fortunately, due to a maladministration we were allow a new appeal which we were able to attend - this time we were successful. The only difference between the evidence each time was that, as Etienne says, we were able to answer questions the second time because we were there.